Forensic Finance: Market Abuse and Price Manipulation in Security Markets on the Trail
On 19th March 2009, several national newspapers in Austria reported on a “turbo scandal” that had been suspected on the Vienna Stock Exchange for several years. Concerned investors argued that the issuers of turbo certificates tried to raid the underlying prices of these down-and-out call options by selling underlyings with prices under the barriers, resulting in valueless turbos. The goal of this research is to find out which variables are crucial for the research, which stocks were manipulated and who their manipulators were. According to our empirical results, we define suspicious issuers for each stock and classify them as being highly, moderately, less suspicious or rather unsuspicious issuers.
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 2012|
|Publication status:||Published as Corluka, M., Fischer, E. O., “Forensic Finance: Market Abuse and Price Manipulation in Security Markets on the Trail”, 2014, Review of Finance and Banking 6(2), 47-67.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 15/AE, 8010 Graz|
Web page: http://sowi.uni-graz.at/de/forschen/working-paper-series/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Comerton-Forde, Carole & Putnins, Talis J., 2011. "Measuring closing price manipulation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 135-158, April.
- Xiaoyan Ni, Sophie & Pearson, Neil D. & Poteshman, Allen M., 2005. "Stock price clustering on option expiration dates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 49-87, October.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1992. "Stock-Price Manipulation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 503-529.
- Rossetto, Silvia & Bommel, Jos van, 2009. "Endless leverage certificates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1543-1553, August.
- Hillion, Pierre & Suominen, Matti, 2004. "The manipulation of closing prices," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 351-375, October.
- Oliver D. Hart, 1977. "On The Profitability of Speculation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(4), pages 579-597.
- Kumar, Praveen & Seppi, Duane J, 1992. " Futures Manipulation with "Cash Settlement."," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1485-1502, September.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2008.
"Derivative Security Markets, Market Manipulation, and Option Pricing Theory,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 7, pages 131-151
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Jarrow, Robert A., 1994. "Derivative Security Markets, Market Manipulation, and Option Pricing Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 241-261, June.
- Gallagher, David R. & Gardner, Peter & Swan, Peter L., 2009. "Portfolio pumping: An examination of investment manager quarter-end trading and impact on performance," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grz:wpsses:2012-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.