Mathematical Modeling of Consumer's Preferences Using Partial Differential Equations
The aim of this paper is to define consumer's preferences from the differentiable viewpoint in the sense of Debreu. In this framework given the marginal rates of substitution we can consider a vector field to represent consumer's preferences in the microeconomic theory. By definition the marginal rates of substitution satisfy a system of first order partial differential equations. For a continuously differentiable vector field that holds the integrability conditions we provide a general method to solve the system. In the special case of integrable preferences these conditions impose symmetry properties in the underlying preferences. Our results allow to characterize consumer's preferences in terms of the indifference map for the following classes: linear, quasi-linear, separable, homothetic, homothetic and separable. We show that this alternative approach is connected with the traditional formulation concerning the representability of preferences by utility functions. Moreover, we deduce even the general expression of utility functions that satisfy the integrability conditions in the context of ordinal utility.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva 165; 3004-512 Coimbra|
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, March.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1985. "The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265140, December.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1972. "Smooth Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 603-615, July.
- DEBREU, Gérard, "undated". "Smooth preferences," CORE Discussion Papers RP 132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Birendra K. Rai & Chiu Ki So & Aaron Nicholas, 2012. "A Primer On Mathematical Modelling In Economics," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 594-615, September.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2013-15.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Seiça)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.