Expectations in an OG Economy
Dynamic economic models usually describe the path of economic variables as prices, consumption or capital at equilibrium. The most popular models assume that agents have perfect foresight. Implicitly this assumption requires that agents can compute the complete infinite path, an exercise that requires to solve a system of equations involving an infinite num- ber of equations and unknowns. Equivalently, one could assume that there is a well behaved and fast mechanism driving the economy to the temporary equilibrium. A major difficulty is that the behavior of the consumers in any given period depends on the present and all the fu- ture prices. In the paper, we consider an overlapping generation model in which the consumers form expectations using truncated versions of the model. The mechanism of price adjustment may then be analyzed. Both the expectational dynamics, as treated in Balasko (1994), and the Wal- ras’s tatonnement, as in Hens (1997), are considered. Sufficient conditions for stability of the perfect foresight equilibrium within these price forma- tion mechanisms are derived. We also discuss the issue of the robustness of the results to parameters used in the truncation.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 40 Boulevard du Pont-d'Arve, CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland|
Phone: +41 22 379 8263
Fax: +41 22 379 82 93
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/gsem/dsec/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yves Balasko & Christine Lang, 1998. "Manifolds of golden rule and balanced steady state equilibria," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(2), pages 317-330.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1984.
"Regularity in Overlapping Generations Exchange Economies,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2184, David K. Levine.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K., 1984. "Regularity in overlapping generations exchange economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 69-93, April.
- Timothy Kehoe, 1982. "Regularity in Overlapping Generations Exchange Economies," UCLA Economics Working Papers 258, UCLA Department of Economics.
- T. J. Kehoe & D. K. Levine, 1983. "Regularity in Overlapping Generations Exchange Economies," Working papers 314, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985.
"On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- Balasko, Yves & Royer, Daniel, 1996. "Stability of Competitive Equilibrium with Respect to Recursive and Learning Processes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 319-348, February.
- Grandmont Jean-michel & Laroque Guy, 1985.
"Stability of cycles and expectations,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Hens, Thorsten, 1997. "Stability of tatonnement processes of short period equilibria with rational expectations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 41-67, August.
- Shell, Karl, 1971. "Notes on the Economics of Infinity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(5), pages 1002-11, Sept.-Oct.
- Christian Ghiglino & Mich Tvede, 1993.
"Endowments, Stability and Fluctuations in OG Models,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
93.04, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Ghiglino, Christian & Tvede, Mich, 1995. "Endowments, stability, and fluctuations in OG models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 621-653, April.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Evans, George W & Ramey, Garey, 1992. "Expectation Calculation and Macroeconomic Dynamics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 207-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gen:geneem:2004.10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.