Entrepreneurial opportunities in peripheral versus core regions in Chile
Governmental policies tend to support and boost entrepreneurship in peripheral regions in many countries. This research revives the debate about specific regional policies designed to foster local new business creation, and the entrepreneurial framework conditions needed at the regional level for emerging regions such as Latin America. We applied one of the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor’s methodologies, the National Experts Survey, to a sample of 695 key informants in Chile at eight regions of which six are classified as peripheral. Using nonparametric statistics we compared the differences between peripheral and core regions. The main results indicate that peripherally located entrepreneurship experts perceive their regions as in a worse position than centrally located experts in terms of finance access and physical infrastructure. On the other hand, the results indicate that peripheral entrepreneurship experts detect more market dynamism in their regions and surprisingly perceive general policy and government programs as supporting entrepreneurship although the Chilean government had not promoted many regional policies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2011|
|Publication status:||Published online in Small Business Economics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.gemconsortium.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Pamela Mueller & André Stel & David Storey, 2008. "The effects of new firm formation on regional development over time: The case of Great Britain," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 59-71, January.
- André Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2008.
"The impact of new firm formation on regional development in the Netherlands,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 31-47, January.
- André van Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2005. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200503, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- van Stel, A.J. & Suddle, K., 2005. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-075-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- André van Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2006. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200604, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 1999. "The Industry Component of Regional New Firm Formation Processes," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 239-252, November.
- Demetris Psaltopoulos & Sophia Stathopoulou & Dimitris Skuras, 2005. "The Location of Markets, Perceived Entrepreneurial Risk, and Start-up Capital of Micro Rural Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 147-158, 09.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008.
"Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence,"
Ratio Working Papers
117, The Ratio Institute.
- Magnus Henrekson & Dan Johansson, 2010. "Gazelles as job creators: a survey and interpretation of the evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 227-244, September.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008. "Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence," Working Paper Series 733, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Zoltan Acs & José Amorós, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship and competitiveness dynamics in Latin America,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 305-322, October.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Jose Ernesto Amoros, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Competitiveness Dynamics in Latin America," Jena Economic Research Papers 2008-059, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Storey, D. J. & Tether, B. S., 1998. "New technology-based firms in the European union: an introduction," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 933-946, April.
- G. RomanÃ & M. Atienza & J. E. Amor�s, 2008. "Financing entrepreneurial activity in Chile: scale and scope of public support programs," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 55-70, June.
- Jonathan Levie & Erkko Autio, 2008. "A theoretical grounding and test of the GEM model," Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Working Paper Series 1102, Global Entrepreneurship Research Association, revised Jul 2008.
- G. Page West III & Charles E. Bamford & Jesse W. Marsden, 2008. "Contrasting Entrepreneurial Economic Developments in Less-Developed Latin American Markets: Applications and Extensions of Resource-Based Theory," Discussion Paper Series 2008-03, McColl School of Business, Queens University of Charlotte.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2004. "Effects of New Business Formation on Regional Development over Time," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 961-975.
- Jonathan Levie & Erkko Autio, 2008. "A theoretical grounding and test of the GEM model," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 235-263, October.
- Cooper, Arnold C., 1993. "Challenges in predicting new firm performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 241-253, May.
- Britta Klagge & Ron Martin, 2005. "Decentralized versus centralized financial systems: is there a case for local capital markets?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 387-421, August.
- Rolf Sternberg & Sander Wennekers, 2005. "Determinants and Effects of New Business Creation Using Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 193-203, 01.
- Francesco Lagona & Fabio Padovano, 2007. "A nonlinear principal component analysis of the relationship between budget rules and fiscal performance in the European Union," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 401-436, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gem:wpaper:1106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Aylett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.