NILS Working paper no 180. Job anxiety, work-related psychological illness and workplace performance
This paper uses matched employee-employer data from the British Workplace Employment Relations Survey (WERS) 2004 to examine the determinants of employee job anxiety and work-related psychological illness. Job anxiety is found to be strongly related to the demands of the job as measured by factors such as occupation, education and hours of work. Average levels of employee job anxiety, in turn, are positively associated with work-related psychological illness among the workforce as reported by managers. The paper goes on to consider the relationship between psychological illness and workplace performance as measured by absence, turnover and labour productivity. Work-related psychological illness is found to be negatively associated with several measures of workplace performance.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Note:||Jones, M., Latreille, P., and Sloane, P.J. 2011. Job anxiety, work-related psychological illness and workplace performance. Working Paper No. 180|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 2100, Adelaide SA 5001|
Phone: +61 8 8201 2265
Fax: +61 8 8276 9060
Web page: http://www.flinders.edu.au/sabs/nils/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael French & Laura Dunlap, 1998. "Compensating wage differentials for job stress," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(8), pages 1067-1075.
- Francis Green, 2008. "Leeway for the Loyal: A Model of Employee Discretion," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 46(1), pages 1-32, 03.
- Cottini, Elena & Lucifora, Claudio, 2010. "Mental Health and Working Conditions in European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4717, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bryson, Alex & Barth, Erling & Dale-Olsen, Harald, 2012.
"Do higher wages come at a price?,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 251-263.
- Groot, Wim & Maassen van den Brink, Henriette, 1999. "The price of stress1," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 83-103, February.
- Oswald, Andrew J. & Proto, Eugenio & Sgroi, Daniel, 2009.
"Happiness and Productivity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4645, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oswald, Andrew J. & Proto, Eugenio & Sgroi, Daniel, 2008. "Happiness and Productivity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 882, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Oswald, Andrew & Proto, Eugenio & Sgroi, Daniel, 2013. "Happiness and Productivity," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 108, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Leontaridi, Rannia & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2002. "Work-Related Stress, Quitting Intentions and Absenteeism," IZA Discussion Papers 493, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sebastian Buhai & Elena Cottini & Niels Westergård-Nielsen, 2008.
"The Impact of Workplace Conditions on Firm Performance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-077/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Buhai, Sebastian & Cottini, Elena & Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2008. "The impact of workplace conditions on firm performance," Working Papers 08-13, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
NBER Working Papers
9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. "The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- Paul Fenn & Simon Ashby, 2004. "Workplace Risk, Establishment Size and Union Density," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 42(3), pages 461-480, 09.
- Barry Reilly & Pierella Paci & Peter Holl, 1995. "Unions, Safety Committees and Workplace Injuries," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 275-288, 06.
- Machin, Stephen J & Stewart, Mark B, 1990. "Unions and the Financial Performance of British Private Sector Establishments," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 327-350, Oct.-Dec..
- Xiangdong Wei, 2007. "Wage compensation for job-related illness: Evidence from a matched employer and employee survey in the UK," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 85-98, February.
- Robone, S & Jones, A. M & Rice, N, 2008. "Contractual Conditions, Working conditions, Health and Well-Being in the British Household Panel Survey," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/19, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:371 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fli:wpaper:26078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rupali Saikia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.