Intrinsic Bubbles and Fat Tails in Stock Prices
We study the constant discount rate present value model for stock pricing in a stochastic setting where the exogenous dividend stream is modeled as a random walk with innovations drawn from the family of stable distributions. We derive an exact analytical solution for the fundamental stock price. We evaluate the ability of the model fundamentals and the dividends-driven intrinsic bubbles to explain the observed variation in annual US stock prices. We compare results obtained in this setting with those from the traditional model where all stochastic processes are driven by Gaussian shocks.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (305) 348-2316
Fax: (305) 348-1524
Web page: http://casgroup.fiu.edu/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Shiller, 1980.
"Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?,"
NBER Working Papers
0456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1981. "Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 421-36, June.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991.
"Intrinsic Bubbles: The Case of Stock Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1189-214, December.
- Driffill, John & Sola, Martin, 1998. "Intrinsic bubbles and regime-switching," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Thomas Lux & D. Sornette, 1999.
"On Rational Bubbles and Fat Tails,"
- Prasad V. Bidarkota, 2000. "Asymmetries in the Conditional Mean Dynamics of Real GNP: Robust Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 153-157, February.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- LeRoy, Stephen F & Porter, Richard D, 1981. "The Present-Value Relation: Tests Based on Implied Variance Bounds," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 555-74, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fiu:wpaper:0306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sheng Guo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.