Credit cards and money demand: a cross-sectional study
This study investigates credit card holding and the household demands for several monetary assets in a simultaneous equations framework. It exploits the detailed data on household assets as well as demographic and preference characteristics in the 1983 Survey of Consumer Finances. A key finding is that, consistent with theory, a higher probability of credit card ownership implies lower demand for transaction balances with no effect on small time deposit balances. Copyright 1995 by Ohio State University Press.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dallasfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edgar L. Feige, 1964. "The Demand For Liquid Assets: A Temporal Cross‐Section Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 116-117, 03.
- Boyes, William J. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Low, Stuart A., 1989. "An econometric analysis of the bank credit scoring problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-14, January.
- White, Kenneth J, 1976. "The Effect of Bank Credit Cards on the Household Transactions Demand for Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 51-61, February.
- Lindley, James T. & Rudolph, Patricia & Selby, Edward Jr., 1989. "Credit card possesion and use: Changes over time," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 127-142, May.
- Jappelli, Tullio, 1990. "Who Is Credit Constrained in the U.S. Economy?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 219-34, February.
- James J. Heckman, 1977.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
NBER Working Papers
0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1978. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- John V. Duca & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 1991. "An econometric analysis of borrowing constraints and household debt," Research Paper 9111, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Akhand, Hafiz & Milbourne, Ross, 1986. "Credit cards and aggregate money demand," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 471-478.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Trost, Robert P., 1978. "Estimation of some limited dependent variable models with application to housing demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 357-382, December.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1973.
"The Effect of Children on the Housewife's Value of Time,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S168-99, Part II, .
- Reuben Gronau, 1974. "The Effect of Children on the Housewife's Value of Time," NBER Chapters, in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 457-490 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feige, Edgar L, 1974. "Temporal Cross-Section Specifications of the Demand for Demand Deposits," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 923-40, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:feddrp:9112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Delia Rodriguez to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.