Macroeconomic Imbalances in the EU
This paper aims to identify different growth patterns in the EU which led to the emergence of macroeconomic imbalances. It provides a detailed statistical picture of the evolution of various macroeconomic variables on the demand as well as on the supply side, before, in and after the financial and economic crisis of 2008/09. It investigates the causes and discusses various ’channels’ which led to macroeconomic imbalances by means of a descriptive analysis of the key determinants of macroeconomic developments, such as wage and price developments, productivity growth etc. Special emphasis is given to developments of the share of labour in national income, the real interest rate and the real exchange rate. The analysis of this data set provides a comprehensive picture of the underlying causes for the specific growth patterns as well as a first assessment of their role in the development of macroeconomic imbalances within the EU. It derives tentative conclusions as to how macroeconomic imbalances can arise in a monetary union and how they can be addressed properly by economic policy.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
|Order Information:|| Postal: WWWforEurope Project Office Austrian Institute of Economic Research Arsenal Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Ederer, 2010. "Imbalances in the Euro Area," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 83(7), pages 589-602, July.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Philip Lane, 2011.
"External Adjustment and the Global Crisis,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2012. "External adjustment and the global crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 252-265.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8546, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gian M Milesi-Ferretti & Philip R. Lane, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/197, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi Ferretti, 2011. "External Adjustment and the Global Crisis," NBER Working Papers 17352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl Aiginger & Olaf Cramme & Stefan Ederer & Roger Liddle & Renaud Thillaye, 2012. "Reconciling the short and the long run: governance reforms to solve the crisis and beyond," WWWforEurope Policy Brief series 1, WWWforEurope.
- Handler, Heinz, 2013.
"The eurozone: piecemeal approach to an optimum currency area,"
67183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heinz Handler, 2013. "The Eurozone: Piecemeal Approach to an Optimum Currency Area," WIFO Working Papers 446, WIFO.
- Engelbert Stockhammer & Özlem Onaran & Stefan Ederer, 2007.
"Functional income distribution and aggregate demand in the Euro-area,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp102, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Engelbert Stockhammer & Özlem Onaran & Stefan Ederer, 2009. "Functional income distribution and aggregate demand in the Euro area," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 139-159, January.
- Stefan Ederer & Stefan Weingärtner, 2013. "Deeper Integration of Economic and Monetary Union," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 86(6), pages 493-507, June.
- Andreas Sachs, 2013. "Governance Structures in Europe," WWWforEurope Deliverables series 2, WWWforEurope.
- Eckhard Hein & Lena Vogel, 2008. "Distribution and growth reconsidered: empirical results for six OECD countries," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 479-511, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:feu:wfewop:y:2013:m:9:d:0:i:42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.