Methods applied in evaluating business subsidy programs: A survey
This paper surveys evaluation studies of business subsidy programs conducted in Finland and abroad. The aim is to assess the evaluation methods applied and then recommend the most appropriate ones applicable in Finland. In the paper twenty seven studies are analysed; eighteen using Finnish data and the rest, data from other countries. In the study, evaluation methods are divided into two types: ones which gather data and others which analyse them. We found that the evaluation methods utilised are associated with the results produced. Interestingly, also the commissioner of the evaluations seems to play a role in the results reported. The study recommends among others, that estimations on the impacts of business subsidy programs should not be based on primary data (from interviews or questionnaires of recipient firms) but rather on secondary data (from financial statements of firms). In addition, ex post evaluations, utilising both descriptive and econometric methods of analysis, should be the main focus of evaluation activities in the ministries and agencies distributing these business subsidies.
|Date of creation:||19 Dec 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Henri Capron, 1997. "Public support to business R&D: a survey and some new quantitative evidence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6283, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Takis Venetoklis, 2000. "Impact of Business Subsidies on Growth of Firms - Preliminary Evidence from Finnish Panel Data," Discussion Papers 220, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Takis Venetoklis, 1999. "Process Evaluation of Business Subsidies in Finland. A Quantitative Approach," Research Reports 58, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Levy, David M., 1990. "Estimating the impact of government R&D," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 169-173, February.
- Lee, Jong-Wha, 1996. "Government Interventions and Productivity Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 391-414, September.
- Honohan, Patrick, 1998. "Key issues of Cost-Benefit Methodology for Irish Industrial Policy," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS172.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:dpaper:236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.