Sustainable growth in a model with dual-rate discounting
In an important model of growth and pollution proposed by Stokey [Int. Econ. Rev. 39 (1998) 1] neither the rate of economic growth nor the rate of growth of emissions depends on the time preference of the representative agent, which seems somewhat paradoxical. To resolve this paradox, we introduce into Stokey's model the assumption of dual-rate discounting, prove the existence of a sustainable balanced growth optimal path, and show that the growth rates of output and emissions are increasing in the proportion between the consumption and the environmental discount factors of the representative agent.
|Date of creation:||07 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:||10 Mar 2011|
|Publication status:||Published in Economic Modelling 28 (2011) 2071–2074|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +7 (812) 275-1130
Web page: http://www.eu.spb.ru/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gintis, Herbert, 2000. "Beyond Homo economicus: evidence from experimental economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 311-322, December.
- Taylor, Cameron L. & Adamowicz, Wiktor L. & Luckert, Martin K., 2003. "Preferences over the timing of forest resource use," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 223-240.
- J.K. Horowitz, 2002. "Preferences in the Future," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(3), pages 241-258, March.
- Saez, Carmen Almansa & Requena, Javier Calatrava, 2007. "Reconciling sustainability and discounting in Cost-Benefit Analysis: A methodological proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 712-725, February.
- Yang, Zili, 2003. "Dual-rate discounting in dynamic economic-environmental modeling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 941-957, September.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1998. "Are There Limits to Growth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Weikard, Hans-Peter & Zhu, Xueqin, 2005. "Discounting and environmental quality: When should dual rates be used?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 868-878, September.
- Lumley, Sarah, 1997. "The environment and the ethics of discounting: An empirical analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-82, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eus:wpaper:ec0411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yuriy Balagula)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.