Quality of social networks and educational investment decisions
All individuals belong to a social network with certain quality level. This paper analyzes the role of the quality of the social network in the educational decision making process. We propose a measure for quality of network based on the schooling level and the labor position of the members of the net. Our analysis compares individuals who are similar in at least two characteristics: socioeconomic level and intellectual ability. Although they belong to the same type of community (poor), they differ in the composition of their social network. The higher the quality of the network, the higher the probability of investing in education. Hence, socially disadvantaged and equally intelligent individuals may end up acquiring different schooling levels.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32-(0)16-32 67 25
Fax: +32-(0)16-32 67 96
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/ew
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bala, V. & Goyal, S., 1995.
"Learning from Neighbors,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9549-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Dante Contreras & Diana Kruger & Marcelo Ochoa & Daniela Zapata, 2007.
"The Role of Social Networks in the Economic Opportunities of Bolivian Women,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
43798, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Dante Contreras & Daniela Zapata & Diana Kruger & Marcelo Ochoa, 2007. "The Role of Social Networks in the Economic Opportunities of Bolivian Women," Research Department Publications 3240, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Becker, Gary S & Mulligan, Casey B, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-58, August.
- Dan Anderberg & Fredrik Andersson, 2007.
"Stratification, Social Networks in the Labour Market, and Intergenerational Mobility,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(520), pages 782-812, 04.
- Dan Anderberg and Fredrik Andersson, 2003. "Stratification, Social Networks in the Labour Market and Intergenerational Mobility," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 03/8, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Dec 2003.
- Anderberg, Dan & Andersson, Fredrik, 2003.
"Stratification, social networks in the labour market, and intergenerational mobility
[Stratifikation, soziale Netzwerke im Arbeitsmarkt und intergenerationale Mobilität]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2003-20, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Benabou, Roland, 1993.
"Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 619-52, August.
- Roland Benabou, 1991. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," NBER Technical Working Papers 0113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aviad Heifetz & Enrico Minelli, 2006. "Aspiration Traps," Working Papers ubs0610, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Matthew O. Jackson, 2004.
"The Effects of Social Networks on Employment and Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 426-454, June.
- Matt Jackson, 2003. "The Effects of Social Networks on Employment and Inequality," Theory workshop papers 658612000000000032, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Natalia González & Juan Carlos Gómez & Jhon James Mora & Blanca Zuluaga, 2004. "Las ganancias de señalizar en el mercado laboral en Cali," ESTUDIOS GERENCIALES, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- Durlauf, Steven N, 1996.
" A Theory of Persistent Income Inequality,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 75-93, March.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, 2000.
"Risk-Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines,"
Economics Series Working Papers
10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Dercon & Tessa Bold, 2009.
"Contract Design in Insurance Groups,"
Economics Series Working Papers
421, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Matthew O. Jackson, 2003.
"A Survey of Models of Network Formation: Stability and Efficiency,"
Game Theory and Information
- Matthew O. Jackson, 2003. "A survey of models of network formation: Stability and efficiency," Working Papers 1161, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Manski, Charles F, 1993.
"Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 531-42, July.
- Streufert, Peter, 2000. " The Effect of Underclass Social Isolation on Schooling Choice," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(4), pages 461-82.
- Becker, Gary S & Lewis, H Gregg, 1973. "On the Interaction between the Quantity and Quality of Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages S279-88, Part II, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ete:ceswps:ces10.29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.