A cautionary note on tests for overidentifying restrictions
Tests of overidentifying restrictions are widely used in practice. However, there is often confusion about the nature of their null hypothesis and about the interpretation of their outcome. In this note we argue that these tests give little information on whether the instruments are correlated with the errors of the underlaying economic model and on whether they identify parameters of interest.
|Date of creation:||11 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton, 2010.
"Instruments, randomization, and learning about development,"
1224, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Angus Deaton, 2010. "Instruments, Randomization, and Learning about Development," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(2), pages 424-55, June.
- Alastair R. Hall & Atsushi Inoue, 2005.
"The Large Sample Behaviour of the Generalized Method of Moments Estimator in Misspecified Models,"
- Hall, Alastair R. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2003. "The large sample behaviour of the generalized method of moments estimator in misspecified models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 361-394, June.
- Rembert De Blander, 2008. "Which null hypothesis do overidentification restrictions actually test?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(76), pages 1-9.
- Alastair R. Hall & Denis Pelletier, 2007.
"Non-Nested Testing in Models Estimated via Generalized Method of Moments,"
Working Paper Series
011, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Hall, Alastair R. & Pelletier, Denis, 2011. "Nonnested Testing In Models Estimated Via Generalized Method Of Moments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 443-456, April.
- Angrist, Joshua D & Graddy, Kathryn & Imbens, Guido W, 2000. "The Interpretation of Instrumental Variables Estimators in Simultaneous Equations Models with an Application to the Demand for Fish," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 499-527, July.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, June.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, June.
- Helena Holmlund & Mikael Lindahl & Erik Plug, 2011.
"The Causal Effect of Parents' Schooling on Children's Schooling: A Comparison of Estimation Methods,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 615-51, September.
- Holmlund, Helena & Lindahl, Mikael & Plug, Erik, 2008. "The Causal Effect of Parent's Schooling on Children's Schooling: A Comparison of Estimation Methods," IZA Discussion Papers 3630, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Helena Holmlund & Mikael Lindahl & Erik Plug, 2010. "The Causal Effect of Parents' Schooling on Children's Schooling - A Comparison of Estimation Methods," CESifo Working Paper Series 3234, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Imbens, Guido W & Angrist, Joshua D, 1994.
"Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 467-75, March.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens, 1995. "Identification and Estimation of Local Average Treatment Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
- Hall, Alastair R., 2004. "Generalized Method of Moments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198775201, March.
- K. Newey, Whitney, 1985. "Generalized method of moments specification testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 229-256, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:76:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ichino, Andrea & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1998.
"Lower and Upper Bounds of Returns to Schooling: An Exercise in IV estimation with Different Instruments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2007, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ichino, Andrea & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1999. "Lower and upper bounds of returns to schooling: An exercise in IV estimation with different instruments," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 889-901, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esx:essedp:699. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.