The Effect of Competition on Wages and Productivity: Evidence from the UK
This paper examines the impact of competition on wages and productivity using a panel data set of UK manufacturing industries over 1954-1973. The introduction of cartel law in the UK in the late 1950s caused an intensification of price competition in previously cartelized manufacturing industries, but it did not affect those industries which were not cartelized. The econometric results from a comparison of the two groups of industries before and after the introduction of cartel law provide strong evidence of a negative effect of collusion on labour productivity growth. There is no evidence of any effect of collusion on wages. These results are robust to controlling for the potential endogeneity of collusion and are further strengthened by a comparison with US data.
|Date of creation:||02 Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Wivenhoe Park, COLCHESTER. CO4 3SQ|
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:97:y:1981:i:1:p:83-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- James A. Schmitz Jr., 2005.
"What Determines Productivity? Lessons from the Dramatic Recovery of the U.S. and Canadian Iron Ore Industries Following Their Early 1980s Crisis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 582-625, June.
- James A. Schmitz, 2005. "What determines productivity? lessons from the dramatic recovery of the U.S. and Canadian iron-ore industries following their early 1980s crisis," Staff Report 286, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Nickell, S & Vainiomaki, J & Wadhwani, S, 1994. "Wages and Product Market Power," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(244), pages 457-73, November.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jose E. Galdon Sanchez & James A. Schmitz, 2003.
"Competitive pressure and labor productivity: world iron ore markets in the 1980s,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 9-23.
- José E. Galdón-Sánchez & James A. Schmitz Jr., 2002. "Competitive Pressure and Labor Productivity: World Iron-Ore Markets in the 1980's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1222-1235, September.
- Dhillon, Amrita & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 2002. "A generalised wage rigidity result," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 285-311, March.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003. "Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2944, The World Bank.
- Rachel Griffith, 2001. "Product market competition, efficiency and agency costs: an empirical analysis," IFS Working Papers W01/12, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1989. "Union-Oligopoly Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1123-42, December.
- Symeonidis, George, 1999.
"Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000. "Price Competition and Market Structure: The Impact of Cartel Policy on Concentration in the UK," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Stephen Broadberry & Nicholas Crafts, 1996.
"British economic policy and industrial performance in the early post-war period,"
Economic History Working Papers
20669, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- S Broadberry & Nicholas Crafts, 1996. "British Economic Policy and Industrial Performance in the Early Post-War Period," CEP Discussion Papers dp0292, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- George Symeonidis, 2003. "In Which Industries is Collusion More Likely? Evidence from the UK," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 45-74, 03.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000. "Price Competition, Non-price Competition and the Market Structure: Theory and Evidence from the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 437-56, August.
- Tybout, James R. & Westbrook, M. Daniel, 1995. "Trade liberalization and the dimensions of efficiency change in Mexican manufacturing industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 53-78, August.
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455, 1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esx:essedp:626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.