Network Formation with Heterogeneous Players
This paper studies a connections model of network formation in which players are heterogeneous with respect to values as well as the cost of forming links. We start by showing that value heterogeneity is important in determining the level of connectedness of a network, while cost heterogeneity is important in shaping both the level of connectedness as well as the architecture of individual components in a network. We then explore the role of cost heterogeneity in a society which is divided into distinct groups and intra-group links are cheaper as compared to inter-group links. Here we find that inter-connected stars with locally central players are socially efficient as well as dynamically stable. We interpret our results as saying that centrality, center-sponsorship and small diameter are robust features of networks.
|Date of creation:||08 Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco J. van der Leij & Jos� Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2006.
"Economics: An Emerging Small World,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(2), pages 403-432, April.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzàlez, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Working Papers 2004.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga Gonzales, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1287, CESifo Group Munich.
- Slikker, M. & van den Nouweland, C.G.A.M., 1997.
"A One-Stage Model of Link Formation and Payoff Division,"
1997-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Slikker, Marco & van den Nouweland, Anne, 2001. "A One-Stage Model of Link Formation and Payoff Division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 153-175, January.
- Falk, Armin & Kosfeld, Michael, 2003.
"It's all about Connections: Evidence on Network Formation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
777, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falk Armin & Kosfeld Michael, 2012. "It's all about Connections: Evidence on Network Formation," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-36, September.
- Armin Falk, Michael Kosfeld, . "It's all about Connections: Evidence on Network Formation," IEW - Working Papers 146, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Falk, Armin & Kosfeld, Michael, 2003. "It's All About Connections: Evidence on Network Formation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3970, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "original papers : A strategic analysis of network reliability," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 205-228.
- Hojman, Daniel & Szeidl, Adam, 2006. "Core and Periphery in Endogenous Networks," Working Paper Series rwp06-022, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Watts, Alison, 2002.
"The Evolution of Social and Economic Networks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 265-295, October.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Bhaskar Dutta, 2000. "original papers : The stability and efficiency of directed communication networks," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 251-272.
- Callander, Steven & Plott, Charles R., 2005. "Principles of network development and evolution: an experimental study," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(8), pages 1469-1495, August.
- Deroian, Frederic, 2003. "Farsighted strategies in the formation of a communication network," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 343-349, September.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1994.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Watts, Alison, 2001. "A Dynamic Model of Network Formation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 331-341, February.
- Robert P. Gilles & Cathleen Johnson, 2000. "original papers : Spatial social networks," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 273-299.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esx:essedp:562. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.