Cointegration and Sampling Frequency
This paper analyses the effects of sampling frequency on the properties of spectral regression estimators of cointegrating parameters. Large sample asymptotic properties are derived under three scenarios concerning the span of data and sampling frequency, each scenario depending on whether span or frequency (or both) tends to infinity. The limiting distributions are shown to be different in each case. Furthermore, the asymptotic efficiency of the estimators obtained with a fixed sampling frequency is compared with that obtained with a continuous record of data, and it is shown that the only inefficiencies arise with respect to stock variables. Some simulation results and an empirical illustration are also provided.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Test Consistency With Varying Sampling Frequency,"
345, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Bergstrom, A.R., 1984. "Continuous time stochastic models and issues of aggregation over time," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1145-1212 Elsevier.
- Otero, Jesus & Smith, Jeremy, 2000. "Testing for cointegration: power versus frequency of observation -- further Monte Carlo results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 5-9, April.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1987.
"Partially Identified Econometric Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
845R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Aug 1988.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 2001. "Temporal Aggregation And The Finite Sample Performance Of Spectral Regression Estimators In Cointegrated Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 591-607, June.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 2003. "The Asymptotic Efficiency Of Cointegration Estimators Under Temporal Aggregation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 49-77, February.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 1999. "Discrete time representation of stationary and non-stationary continuous time systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 619-639, February.
- McCrorie, J. Roderick, 2000. "Deriving The Exact Discrete Analog Of A Continuous Time System," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 998-1015, December.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Mamingi, Nlandu, 1995. "Testing for cointegration: Power versus frequency of observation -- another view," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 121-124, August.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Convergence to Stochastic Integrals for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 489-500, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esx:essedp:531. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.