Testing for Unit Roots with Flow Data and Varying Sampling Frequency
This paper considers tests for a unit root in a flow variable when the span of data and/or the sampling frequency are allowed to vary. The limiting distributions of the statistics are obtained under both the null and alternative hypotheses, thereby enabling an analysis of the consistency properties of the tests to be conducted. Contrary to the situation with a stock variable, it is found that it is possible to consistently test for a unit root in a flow variable even when the span of the data is fixed, and, furthermore, that increasing the span of the data is not in itself sufficient for consistent testing. Some new simulation results are provided while the theoretical results obtained help to explain recent simulation findings by other authors involving unit root tests with flow variables.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Discussion Papers Administrator, Department of Economics, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus J. Chambers, 2001.
"Testing for Unit Roots with Flow Data and Varying Sampling Frequency,"
Economics Discussion Papers
529, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Chambers, Marcus J., 2004. "Testing for unit roots with flow data and varying sampling frequency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Choi, In, 1992. "Effects of data aggregation on the power of tests for a unit root : A simulation study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 397-401, December.
- Ng, Serena, 1995. "Testing for unit roots in flow data sampled at different frequencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(3-4), pages 237-242, March.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Test Consistency With Varying Sampling Frequency,"
345, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Bergstrom, A.R., 1984. "Continuous time stochastic models and issues of aggregation over time," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1145-1212 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esx:essedp:529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Essex Economics Web Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.