Britishness and identity assimilation among the UKâ€™s minority and majority ethnic groups
Public and academic debate has revealed concern with the extent and implications of national identification among minority groups in Western societies. In this paper we present new analysis of Understanding Society that expands the limited evidence on minority identification. Drawing on Berryâ€™s acculturation framework, we explore patterns of dual minority and majority identification among the UKâ€™s minority ethnic groups.Â We find that minorities tend to hold strong British identities; but that there are variations in identity acculturation across minority groups and by generation.Â We also show that there is substantial heterogeneity in the identities of the White British population.
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)1206 872957
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
Web page: https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/research/publications/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paolo Masella, 2013. "National identity and ethnic diversity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59313, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ayse Guveli & Lucinda Platt, 2011. "Understanding the religious behaviour of Muslims in the Netherlands and the UK," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 858.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Alan Manning & Sanchari Roy, 2010. "Culture Clash or Culture Club? National Identity in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(542), pages F72-F100, 02.
- Lynn, Peter, 2009. "Sample design for Understanding Society," Understanding Society Working Paper Series 2009-01, Understanding Society at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Berthoud, Richard & Fumagalli, Laura & Lynn, Peter & Platt, Lucinda, 2009. "Design of the Understanding Society ethnic minority boost sample," Understanding Society Working Paper Series 2009-02, Understanding Society at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Paolo Masella, 2013. "National identity and ethnic diversity," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 437-454, April.
- Ron Johnston & Ibrahim Sirkeci & Nabil Khattab & Tariq Modood, 2010. "Ethno-religious categories and measuring occupational attainment in relation to education in England and Wales: a multilevel analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(3), pages 578-591, March.
- Simonetta Longhi & Cheti Nicoletti & Lucinda Platt, 2013. "Explained and unexplained wage gaps across the main ethno-religious groups in Great Britain," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 471-493, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:ukhlsp:2013-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.