A European Deposit Insurance and Resolution Fund - An Update
Cross-border firms supply goods and services throughout Europe and cross-border banks facilitate the cross-border traffic by persons and firms. European banks are thus an integral part of the internal market. Yet cross-border banking is not stable in the current institutional setting as national authorities focus on preserving the national parts of a cross-border bank and the integrated value of a bank is neglected. European banks therefore need a European safety net, which is a precondition for putting the supervisory framework on a European footing. This Policy Brief first shows the overall architecture for a banking union in the euro area and sketches the basic building blocks of such a safety net. Next, it provides a sketch of a prospective European Deposit Insurance and Resolution Fund and outlines how one could structure a gradual transition from the national deposit insurance funds to the new European fund. Finally, it calculates that a European Deposit Insurance Fund would amount to about €30-50 billion for the 75 euro area banks that were subject to the EBA stress tests. This Fund could be created over a period of time through risk-based deposit insurance premiums levied on these banks. Once up and running, the Fund would then turn into a European Deposit Insurance and Resolution Fund to also deal with the resolution of one or more of these European banks.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place du Congrès, B-1000 Bruxelles|
Phone: (+322) 229-39-11
Fax: (+322) 229-39-71
Web page: http://www.ceps.eu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keynote Speech by Maurice Obstfeld, 2011.
"International Liquidity: The Fiscal Dimension,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 29, pages 33-48, November.
- André Sapir & Benedicta Marzinotto & Guntram Wolff, 2011.
"What Kind of Fiscal Union ?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/174293, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gerhardt, Maria & Lannoo, Karel, 2011. "Options for reforming deposit protection schemes in the EU," ECRI Papers 4339, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Schoenmaker, Dirk, 2013. "Governance of International Banking: The Financial Trilemma," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199971596, December.
- Repullo, R., 1999.
"Who Should Act as Lender of Last Resort? An Incomplete Contracts Model,"
9913, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Rafael Repullo, 2000. "Who should act as lender of last resort? an incomplete contracts model," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 580-610.
- Repullo, Rafael, 2000. "Who Should Act as Lender of Last Resort? An Incomplete Contracts Model," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 580-605, August.
- María J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2006. "Preconditions for a successful implementation of supervisors' prompt corrective action: Is there a case for a banking standard in the European Union?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Schoenmaker, Dirk & Gros, Daniel, 2012. "A European Deposit Insurance and Resolution Fund," CEPS Papers 6918, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Hertig Gerard & Lee Ruben & McCahery Joseph A., 2010. "Empowering the ECB to Supervise Banks: A Choice-Based Approach," European Company and Financial Law Review, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 171-215, January.
- Charles Goodhart & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2009. "Fiscal Burden Sharing in Cross-Border Banking Crises," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 141-165, March.
- Jean Dermine, 2000. "Bank Mergers in Europe: The Public Policy Issues," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 409-425, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eps:cepswp:7276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Minkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.