Endogenous Aggregate Elasticity of Substitution
In the literature studying aggregate economies the aggregate elasticity of substitution (AES) between capital and labor is often treated as a constant or "deep" parameter. This view contrasts with the conjecture put forward by Arrow et al. (1961) that AES evolves over time and changes with the process of economic development. This paper evaluates this conjecture in a simple dynamic multisector growth model, in which AES is endogenously determined. Our findings support the conjecture, and in particular demonstrate that AES tends to be positively related to the state of economic development, a result consistent with recent empirical findings.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://economics.emory.edu/home/journals/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2000.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 575-604, May.
- de La Grandville, Olivier, 1989. "Erratum [In Quest of the Slutsky Diamond]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1307, December.
- Ventura, Jaume, 1997. "Growth and Interdependence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 57-84, February.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2002.
"Directed Technical Change,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(4), pages 781-809, October.
- Yuhn, Ky-hyang, 1991. "Economic Growth, Technical Change Biases, and the Elasticity of Substitution: A Test of the De La Grandville Hypothesis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 340-46, May.
- Klump, Rainer & Preissler, Harald, 2000. " CES Production Functions and Economic Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 41-56, March.
- J. D. Pitchpord, 1960. "GROWTH and THE ELASTICITY OF FACTOR SUBSTITUTION-super-1," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(76), pages 491-504, December.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1969. "Induced Factor Augmenting Technical Progress from a Microeconomic Viewpoint," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 668-84, October.
- Kaz Miyagiwa & Chris Papageorgiou, 2003.
"Elasticity of substitution and growth: normalized CES in the Diamond model,"
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 155-165, 01.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Kaz Miyagiwa, . "Elasticity of Substitution and Growth: Normalized CES in the Diamond Model," Departmental Working Papers 2001-05, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1963. "On the Concept of Optimal Economic Growth," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 163, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pedro Cavalcanti Ferreira & Alberto Trejos, 2006. "On The Output Effects Of Barriers To Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1319-1340, November.
- Winford H. Masanjala & Chris Papageorgiou, 2004. "The Solow model with CES technology: nonlinearities and parameter heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 171-201.
- F. M. Fisher & R. M. Solow & J. R. Kearl, 1974.
"Aggregate Production Functions: Some CES xperiments,"
136, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Fisher, Franklin M & Solow, Robert M & Kearl, James M, 1977. "Aggregate Production Functions: Some CES Experiments," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 305-20, June.
- Revankar, Nagesh S, 1971. "A Class of Variable Elasticity of Substitution Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 61-71, January.
- Olivier de La Grandville & Rainer Klump, 2000. "Economic Growth and the Elasticity of Substitution: Two Theorems and Some Suggestions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 282-291, March.
- Rainer Klump & Peter McAdam & Alpo Willman, 2004.
"Factor Substitution and Factor Augmenting Technical Progress in the US: A Normalized Supply-Side System Approach,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c009_030, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Klump, Rainer & McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2004. "Factor substitution and factor augmenting technical progress in the US: a normalized supply-side system approach," Working Paper Series 0367, European Central Bank.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Ronald W. Jones, 1965. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 557.
- de La Grandville, Olivier, 1989. "In Quest of the Slutsky Diamond," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 468-81, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emo:wp2003:0707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sue Mialon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.