Information and Disclosure in Strategic Trade Policy
We examine the standard assumption in the strategic trade policy literature that governments possess complete information. Assuming instead that firms have better information, we explore the long-term incentives for firms to consistently disclose information to their governments in the standard setting. We find that with quantity competition firms disclose both demand and cost information to the governments, thereby giving some justification to the literature's omniscient-government assumption. Further, the equilibrium exhibits an informational prisoner's dilemma with demand uncertainty, but not with cost uncertainty. With price competition, however, firms have no incentives to disclose information.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://economics.emory.edu/home/journals/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Creane, Anthony & Miyagiwa, Kaz, 2008.
"Information and disclosure in strategic trade policy,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 229-244, May.
- Anthony Creane & Kaz Miyagiwa, 2005. "Information and Disclosure in Strategic Trade Policy," Emory Economics 0530, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Anthony Creane & Kaz Miyagiwa, 2007. "Information and Disclosure in Strategic Trade Policy," ISER Discussion Paper 0705, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maggi, Giovanni, 1999. "Strategic Trade Policy under Incomplete Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 571-594, August.
- Maggi, G., 1997. "Strategic Trade Policy Under Incomplete Information," Papers 189, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Giovanni Maggi, 1998. "A Note on "Strategic Trade Policy Design with Asymmetric Information and Public Contracts"," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 623-625.
- S. Lael Brainard & David Martimort, 1996. "Strategic Trade Policy Design with Asymmetric Information and Public Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 81-105.
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 1997. "Asymmetric oligopoly, international trade, and welfare: a synthesis," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 65(3), pages 291-310, October.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1994. "Asymmetric Oligopoly, International Trade, and Welfare: Synthesis," Economics Discussion Papers 10032, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987. "Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 927-940, December.
- Chaim Fershtman & Kenneth L Judd, 1984. "Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly," Discussion Papers 642, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Brander, James A., 1995. "Strategic trade policy," Handbook of International Economics,in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1395-1455 Elsevier.
- James A. Brander, 1995. "Strategic Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Okajima, Yoshitomo, 2003. "A note on 'optimal strategic trade policy under asymmetric information'," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 243-246, October.
- Xavier Vives, 1990. "Trade Association Disclosure Rules, Incentives to Share Information, and Welfare," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(3), pages 409-430, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)