Preferences, actions and voting rules
In this paper we address several issues related to collective dichotomous decision-making by means of quaternary voting rules, i.e., when voters may choose between four actions: voting yes, voting no, abstaining and not turning up - which are aggregated by a voting rule into a dichotomous decision: acceptance or rejection of a proposal. In particular we study the links between the actions and preferences of the actors. We show that quaternary rules (unlike binary rules, where only two actions -yes or no- are possible) leave room for manipulability (i.e., strategic behaviour). Thus a preference profile does not in general determine an action profile. We also deal with the notions of success and decisiveness and their ex ante assessment for quaternary voting rules, and discuss the role of information and coordination in this context.
|Date of creation:||17 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83, 48015 Bilbao|
Web page: http://www.ehu.es/fundamentosI/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith L. Dougherty & Julian Edward, 2010. "The Properties of Simple Vs. Absolute Majority Rule: Cases Where Absences and Abstentions Are Important," Journal of Theoretical Politics, SAGE Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 85-122, January.
- Laruelle,Annick & Valenciano,Federico, 2011.
"Voting and Collective Decision-Making,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521182638, December.
- Annick Lamelle & Federico Valenciano, 2011.
"Majorities with a quorum,"
Journal of Theoretical Politics,
SAGE Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 241-259, April.
- Pongou, Roland & Tchantcho, Bertrand & Diffo Lambo, Lawrence, 2008.
"Political Influence in Multi-Choice Institutions: Cyclicity, Anonymity and Transitivity,"
18240, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Oct 2009.
- Roland Pongou & Bertrand Tchantcho & Lawrence Diffo Lambo, 2011. "Political influence in multi-choice institutions: cyclicity, anonymity, and transitivity," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 157-178, February.
- MoshÊ Machover & Dan S. Felsenthal, 1997. "Ternary Voting Games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 26(3), pages 335-351.
- Valenciano Llovera, Federico & Laruelle, Annick, 2010.
"Quaternary dichotomous voting rules,"
2010-41, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Federico Valenciano & Annick Laruelle & Ricardo Martínez, 2004.
"Success Versus Decisiveness: Conceptual Discussion And Case Study,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-30, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano & Ricardo Martinez, 2006. "Success Versus Decisiveness Conceptual Discussion and Case Study," Post-Print halshs-00150527, HAL.
- Josep Freixas & William S. Zwicker, 2003. "Weighted voting, abstention, and multiple levels of approval," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 21(3), pages 399-431, December.
- François Maniquet & Massimo Morelli, 2015.
"Approval quorums dominate participation quorums,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 45(1), pages 1-27, June.
- Maniquet, François; Morelli, Massimo, 2010. "Approval Quorums Dominate Participation Quorums," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/13, European University Institute.
- MANIQUET, François & MORELLI, Massimo & ,, 2013. "Approval quorums dominate participation quorums," CORE Discussion Papers 2013054, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Annick Laruelle & F. Valenciano, 2005.
"Assessing success and decisiveness in voting situations,"
- Annick Laruelle & Federico Valenciano, 2005. "Assessing success and decisiveness in voting situations," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 24(1), pages 171-197, January.
- Paulo P. Corte-Real & Paulo Trigo Pereira, 2002.
"The voter who wasn't there: Referenda, Representation and Abstention,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2002/04, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Paulo P. Côrte-Real & Paulo T. Pereira, 2004. "The voter who wasn’t there: Referenda, representation and abstention," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 22(2), pages 349-369, 04.
- Helios Herrera & Andrea Mattozzi, 2010.
"Quorum and Turnout in Referenda,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 838-871, 06.
- Tchantcho, Bertrand & Lambo, Lawrence Diffo & Pongou, Roland & Engoulou, Bertrand Mbama, 2008. "Voters' power in voting games with abstention: Influence relation and ordinal equivalence of power theories," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 335-350, September.
- Gibbard, Allan, 1973. "Manipulation of Voting Schemes: A General Result," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 587-601, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:ikerla:201148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.