Linguistic Polarization and Conflict in the Basque Country
This paper investigates the relationship between linguistic polarization and conflict in the Basque Country. During the 40 years of Francoâ€™s dictatorship the use of the Basque language was banned. Therefore, there may be some linguistic roots underlying the conflict in the Basque Country. We show that at the municipality level, linguistic polarization reduces the level of conflict. This finding is robust to various ways of measuring linguistic and ideological polarization and the inclusion of other covariates. In addition, we find that a high level of the stock of human capital is beneficial for reducing conflict intensity.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dfaeii.ehu.es
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico II, = Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric D. Gould & Esteban F. Klor, 2009.
"Does Terrorism Work?,"
HiCN Working Papers
67, Households in Conflict Network.
- Alan B. Krueger & Jitka Maleckova, 2003. "Education, Poverty and Terrorism: Is There a Causal Connection?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 119-144, Fall.
- Nauro Campos & Ahmad Saleh & Vitaliy Kuzeyev, 2011.
"Dynamic ethnic fractionalization and economic growth,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 129-152.
- Campos, Nauro F. & Saleh, Ahmad & Kuzeyev, Vitaliy S., 2009. "Dynamic Ethnic Fractionalization and Economic Growth," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009 30, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Abadie, Alberto, 2004.
"Poverty, Political Freedom, and the Roots of Terrorism,"
Working Paper Series
rwp04-043, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Alberto Abadie, 2006. "Poverty, Political Freedom, and the Roots of Terrorism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 50-56, May.
- Alberto Abadie, 2004. "Poverty, Political Freedom, and the Roots of Terrorism," NBER Working Papers 10859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2008. "On the Salience of Ethnic Conflict," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 2185-2202, December.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kuzeyev, Vitaliy, 2007.
"On the Dynamics of Ethnic Fractionalization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6360, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus Desmet & Ignacio Ortuño-Ortín & Romain Wacziarg, 2009.
"The Political Economy of Ethnolinguistic Cleavages,"
NBER Working Papers
15360, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Desmet, Klaus & Ortuño-Ortín, Ignacio & Wacziarg, Romain, 2009. "The Political Economy of Ethnolinguistic Cleavages," CEPR Discussion Papers 7478, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus Desmet & Ignacio Ortuño-Ortín & Romain Wacziarg, 2009. "The political economy of ethnolinguistic cleavages," Working Papers 2009-17, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Easterly, W & Levine, R, 1996.
"Africa's Growth Tragedy : Policies and Ethnic Divisions,"
536, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Easterly, William & Levine, Ross, 1997. "Africa's Growth Tragedy: Policies and Ethnic Divisions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1203-50, November.
- Marta Reynal-Querol, 2002. "Political systems, stability and civil wars," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 465-483.
- Benmelech, Efraim & Berrebi, Claude & Klor, Esteban F, 2010.
"Economic Conditions and the Quality of Suicide Terrorism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7995, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Efraim Benmelech & Claude Berrebi & Esteban F. Klor, 2010. "Economic Conditions and the Quality of Suicide Terrorism," NBER Working Papers 16320, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2009.
"Linking Conflict to Inequality and Polarization,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
766.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC), revised 25 Mar 2010.
- Jean-Paul Azam & Véronique Thelen, 2008.
"The roles of foreign aid and education in the war on terror,"
Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 375-397, June.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Thelen, Véronique, 2007. "The Roles of Foreign Aid and Education in the War on Terror," IDEI Working Papers 449, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- José Garcia Montalvo & Marta Reynal-Querol, 2004. "Ethnic polarization, potential conflict and civil wars," Economics Working Papers 770, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2005.
- Jos� G. Montalvo & Marta Reynal-Querol, 2005. "Ethnic Polarization, Potential Conflict, and Civil Wars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 796-816, June.
- Javier Gardeazabal, 2010. "Vote Shares in Spanish General Elections as a Fractional Response to the Economy and Conflict," Economics of Security Working Paper Series 33, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:dfaeii:201102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.