Endogenous Unions Formation
This paper analyzes the process of endogenous union formation in the context of a sequential bargaining model between a firm and several unions and tries to explain why workers may be represented by several unions of different sizes. We show that the equilibrium number of unions and their relative size depend on workers' attitudes toward the risk of unemployment and union configuration is independent of labor productivity.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83, 48015 Bilbao|
Web page: http://www.dfaeii.ehu.es
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico II, = Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horn, Henrik & Wolinsky, Asher, 1988. "Worker Substitutability and Patterns of Unionisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 484-97, June.
- Mar? Paz Espinosa & Inés Macho-Stadler, .
"Endogenous Formation Of Partnerships With Moral Hazard,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
448.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Paz Espinosa, Maria & Macho-Stadler, Ines, 2003. "Endogenous formation of competing partnerships with moral hazard," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 183-194, July.
- Mari Paz Espinosa & Inez Macho-Stadler, 2000. "Endogenous Formation of Partnership with Moral Hazard," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0565, Econometric Society.
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Macho Stadler, Inés, 2002. "Endogenous Formation of Competing Partnership with Moral Hazard," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-34, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834.
- De la Rica, S. & Espinosa, M.P., 1996.
"Testing Employment determination in Unionised Economices as a Repeated Gam e,"
ASSET - Instituto De Economia Publica
157, ASSET (Association of Southern European Economic Theorists).
- De la Rica, Sara & Espinosa, Maria Paz, 1997. "Testing Employment Determination in Unionised Economies as a Repeated Game," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(2), pages 134-52, May.
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
- Chica Páez, Yolanda & Espinosa Alejos, María Paz, 2005. "Union Formation and Bargaining Rules in the Labor Market," DFAEII Working Papers 2005-07, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Dobson, Paul W., 1994. "Multifirm unions and the incentive to adopt pattern bargaining in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Maria Paz Espinosa & Changyong Rhee, 1989. "Efficient Wage Bargaining as a Repeated Game," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(3), pages 565-588.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:dfaeii:2009.07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.