The Importance of Stock Market Returns in Estimated Monetary Policy Rules: a Structural Approach
This paper estimates a standard version of the New Keynesian Monetary (NKM) model augmented with financial variables in order to analyze the relative importance of stock market returns and term spread in the estimated U.S. monetary policy rule. The estimation procedure implemented is a classical structural method based on the indirect inference principle. The empirical results show that the Fed seems to respond to the macroeconomic outlook and to the stock market return but does not seem to respond to the term spread. Moreover, policy inertia and persistent policy shocks are also significant features of the estimated policy rule.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dfaeii.ehu.es
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico II, = Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Lowe & Luci Ellis, 1997. "The Smoothing of Official Interest Rates," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Philip Lowe (ed.), Monetary Policy and Inflation Targeting Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997.
"The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective,"
Economics Working Papers
356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ang & Sen Dong, 2005.
"No-Arbitrage Taylor Rules,"
2005 Meeting Papers
22, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2004.
"Methods to Estimate Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Models,"
2004 Meeting Papers
83, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ruge-Murcia, Francisco J., 2007. "Methods to estimate dynamic stochastic general equilibrium models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2599-2636, August.
- Ruge-Murcia, Francisco J., 2002. "Methods to Estimate Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Models," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4fc8x822, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2003. "Methods to Estimate Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Models," Cahiers de recherche 2003-23, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2003. "Methods to Estimate Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Models," Cahiers de recherche 17-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1995.
"Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models with Diagnostics,"
95-36, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Hsieh, David & Tauchen, George, 1997. "Estimation of stochastic volatility models with diagnostics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 159-192, November.
- Tauchen, George E. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1995.
"Which Moments to Match,"
95-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Ingram, Beth Fisher, 1991. "Simulation estimation of time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 197-205, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:dfaeii:2006.06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.