Is there a Phillips Curve in the US and the EU15 Countries? An empirical investigation
This paper studies the comovement between output and inflation in the EU15 countries. Following den Haan (2000), I use the correlations of VAR forecast errors at different horizons in order to analyze the output-inflation relationship. The empirical results show that eight countries display a significant positive comovement between output and inflation. Moreover, the empirical evidence suggests that a Phillips curve phenomenom is more likely to be detected in countries where inflation is more stable.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dfaeii.ehu.es
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico II, = Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Atkeson & Lee E. Ohanian., 2001. "Are Phillips curves useful for forecasting inflation?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 2-11.
- Den Haan, Wouter & Sumner, Steven, 2001.
"The Comovements between Real Activity and Prices in the G7,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2801, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- den Haan, Wouter J. & Sumner, Steven W., 2004. "The comovement between real activity and prices in the G7," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1333-1347, December.
- Wouter J. Den Haan & Steven Sumner, 2001. "The Comovements between Real Activity and Prices in the G7," NBER Working Papers 8195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- den Haan, Wouter J., 2000.
"The comovement between output and prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 3-30, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Den Haan JME(2000) correlation of comovements," Statistical Software Components RTZ00042, Boston College Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000.
"The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1905, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 2001. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff between Inflation and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C45-61, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2000. "The Inexorable and Mysterious Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 7884, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cooley, T.F. & Ohanian, L.E., 1989.
"The Cyclical Behavior Of Prices,"
RCER Working Papers
188, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1990. "Business cycles: real facts and a monetary myth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-18.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:dfaeii:200232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.