Do Advertising Bans Work? An International Comparison
Advertising bans can increase or decrease alcohol consumption due to effects on beverage choice, price competition, and substitution by producers toward nonbanned media. We study bans on broadcast advertising in seventeen OECD countries for the years 1977-95, in relation to per capita alcohol consumption, liver cirrhosis mortality, and motor vehicle fatalities. The results indicate that advertising bans in OECD countries have not decreased alcohol consumption or alcohol abuse.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 608 Kern Graduate Building, University Park, PA 16802-3306|
Web page: http://econ.la.psu.edu/info/working_papers.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffy, Martyn, 1995. "Advertising in demand systems for alcoholic drinks and tobacco: A comparative study," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 557-577, December.
- Jon P. Nelson, 1999. "Broadcast Advertising and U.S. Demand for Alcoholic Beverages," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 774-790, April.
- Motta, Massimo, 1997.
CEPR Discussion Papers
1613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Saffer, Henry, 1991.
"Alcohol advertising bans and alcohol abuse: An international perspective,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 65-79, May.
- Henry Saffer, 1989. "Alcohol Advertising Bans and Alcohol Abuse: An International Perspective," NBER Working Papers 3052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jon Nelson, 2003. "Advertising Bans, Monopoly, and Alcohol Demand: Testing for Substitution Effects using State Panel Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Ornstein, Stanley I & Hanssens, Dominique M, 1985. " Alcohol Control Laws and the Consumption of Distilled Spirits and Beer," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 200-213, September.
- Saffer, Henry & Chaloupka, Frank, 2000. "The effect of tobacco advertising bans on tobacco consumption," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1117-1137, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:peneco:6-01-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.