The usefulness of infra-annual government cash budgetary data for fiscal forecasting in the euro area
Short-term fiscal indicators based on public accounts data are often used by European policy makers. They represent one of the main sources of publicly available intra-annual fiscal information. Nevertheless, these indicators have received limited attention from the academic literature analysing fiscal forecasting in Europe. Some recent literature suggests the validity of public accounts data to forecast government deficits in the euro area. We extend this literature on two fronts:(i) we shift the focus from indicators of government deficits to look at indicators for government total revenue and total expenditure; (ii) we use a mixed-frequency state-space model to integrate readily available monthly/quarterly cash-based fiscal data with annual general government series (National Accounts). By doing so, we are able to maintain the focus on forecasting and monitoring annual outcomes, while making use of infra-annual fiscal information, available within the current year. The paper makes a case for the use of monthly cash indicators for multi- lateral fiscal surveillance at the European level. JEL Classification: C53, E6, H6
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camba-Méndez, Gonzalo & Lamo, Ana, 2002.
"Short-term monitoring of fiscal policy discipline,"
Working Paper Series
0152, European Central Bank.
- Perez, Javier J., 2007. "Leading indicators for euro area government deficits," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 259-275.
- Buti, M. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Franco, D., 2005.
"The Stability pact Pains : A Forward-Looking Assessment of the Reform Debate,"
2005-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Buti, Marco & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Franco, Daniele, 2005. "The Stability Pact Pains: A Forward-Looking Assessment of the Reform Debate," CEPR Discussion Papers 5216, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Breuss, Fritz & Roeger, Werner, 2005. "The SGP fiscal rule in the case of sluggish growth: Simulations with the QUEST model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 767-788, October.
- Bruck, Tilman & Zwiener, Rudolf, 2006.
"Fiscal policy rules for stabilisation and growth: A simulation analysis of deficit and expenditure targets in a monetary union,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 357-369, May.
- Tilman Brück & Rudolf Zwiener, 2004. "Fiscal Policy Rules for Stabilisation and Growth: A Simulation Analysis of Deficit and Expenditure Targets in a Monetary Union," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 427, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Teresa Leal & Javier J. Pérez & Mika Tujula & Jean-Pierre Vidal, 2008.
"Fiscal Forecasting: Lessons from the Literature and Challenges,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(3), pages 347-386, 09.
- Leal, Teresa & Pérez, Javier J. & Tujula, Mika & Vidal, Jean-Pierre, 2007. "Fiscal forecasting: lessons from the literature and challenges," Working Paper Series 0843, European Central Bank.
- Jay H. Bryson, 1994. "Fiscal policy coordination and flexibility under European Monetary Union: implications for macroeconomic stabilization," International Finance Discussion Papers 467, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lu�s Gordo Mora & Jo�o Nogueira Martins, 2007. "How reliable are the statistics for the Stability and Growth Pact?," European Economy - Economic Papers 273, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Andrea Silvestrini & Matteo Salto & Laurent Moulin & David Veredas, 2008.
"Monitoring and forecasting annual public deficit every month: the case of France,"
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 493-524, June.
- SILVESTRINI, Andrea & SALTo, Matteo & MOULIN, Laurent & VEREDAS, David, . "Monitoring and forecasting annual public deficit every month: the case of France," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ferré, Montserrat, 2008. "Fiscal policy coordination in the EMU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 221-235.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990.
"A Simple Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance,"
29, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 1992. "A Simple Nonparametric Test of Predictive Performance," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 561-65, October.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 1990. "A Simple, Non-Parametric Test Of Predictive Performance," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9021, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Marco Buti, 2006. "Will the new stability and growth pact succeed? An economic and political perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 241, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2005. "Europe, the euro and the ECB: Monetary success, fiscal failure," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 427-439, June.
- Luigi Bonatti & Annalisa Cristini, 2007.
"Breaking the stability pact: was it predictable?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
0714, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Dury, Karen & Pina, Alvaro M., 2003.
"Fiscal policy in EMU: simulating the operation of the Stability Pact,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 179-206, February.
- Dury, K. & Pina, A.M., 2000. "Fiscal Policy in EMU: Simulating the Operation of the Stability Pact," Economics Working Papers eco2000/3, European University Institute.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"Monetary Union without Fiscal Coordination May Discipline Policymakers,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A., 1998. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 239-258, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Discussion Paper 1995-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg A. Lans, 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Research Memorandum 024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Pedregal, Diego J. & Pérez, Javier J., 2010.
"Should quarterly government finance statistics be used for fiscal surveillance in Europe?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 794-807, October.
- Pedregal, Diego J. & Pérez, Javier J., 2008. "Should quarterly government finance statistics be used for fiscal surveillane in Europe?," Working Paper Series 0937, European Central Bank.
- Bryson, Jay H., 1994. "Fiscal policy coordination and flexibility under European Monetary Union: Implications for macroeconomic stabilization," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 541-557, December.
- Norén, Ronny, 2009. "Fiscal stability and dynamics in the Eurozone," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 51-57.
- Fullerton, Thomas Jr., 1989. "A composite approach to forecasting state government revenues: Case study of the Idaho sales tax," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 373-380.
- Montserrat Ferré, 2005. "Should Fiscal Authorities Co-operate in a Monetary Union with Public Deficit Targets?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 539-550, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20080901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.