Cross-border lending contagion in multinational banks
We study both theoretically and empirically the inter- dependence of lending decisions in different country branches of a multinational bank. First, we model a bank that delegates the management of its foreign unit to a local manager with non-transferable skills. The bank differs from other international investors due to a liquidity threshold which induces a depositor run and a regulatory action if attained. A separate channel of shock propagation exists since lending decisions are influenced by delegation and precautionary motives. This can entail “contagion”, i.e. parallel reactions of the loan volumes in both countries to the parent bank home country disturbance. Second, we look for the presence of lending contagion by panel regression methods in a large sample of multinational banks and their affiliates. We find that the majority of multinational banks behave in line with contagion effect. In addition, the presence of contagion seems to be related to the geographical location of subsidiaries. JEL Classification: F37, G21, G28, G31
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1999.
"A Theory of Bank Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
7431, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Lóránth, Gyöngyi, 2004.
"Regulation of Multinational banks: A Theoretical Inquiry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4232, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Loranth, Gyongyi, 2011. "Regulation of multinational banks: A theoretical inquiry," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 178-198, April.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Loranth, Gyongyi, 2005. "Regulation of multinational banks: a theoretical inquiry," Working Paper Series 0431, European Central Bank.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2002.
"Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe,"
- R. T.A. de Haas & I. P.P van Lelyveld, 2004. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(2), pages 125-151, August.
- R.T.A. de Haas & I.P.P. van Lelyveld, 2003. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 91, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Chan-Lau, Jorge A & Chen, Zhaohui, 2002. "A Theoretical Model of Financial Crisis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 53-63, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20070807. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.