Growth accounting for the euro area: a structural approach
This paper is concerned with the estimation of euro area potential output growth and its decomposition according to the sources of growth. The growth accounting exercise is based on a multivariate structural time series model which combines the decomposition of total output according to the production function approach with price and wage equations that embody Phillips type relationships linking inflation and nominal wage dynamics to the output gap and cyclical unemployment, respectively. Assuming a Cobb-Douglas technology with constant returns to scale, potential output results from the combination of the trend levels of total factor productivity and factor inputs, capital and labour (hours worked), which is decomposed into labour intensity (average hours worked), the employment rate, the participation rate, and population of working age. The nominal variables (prices and wages) play an essential role in defining the trend levels of the components of potential output, as the latter should pose no inflationary pressures on prices and wages. The structural model is further extended to allow for the estimation of potential output growth and the decomposition according to the sources of growth at different horizons (long-run, medium run and short run); in particular, we propose and evaluate a model–based approach to the extraction of the low–pass component of potential output growth at different cutoff frequencies. The approach has two important advantages: the signal extraction filters have an automatic adaptation property at the boundaries of the sample period, so that the real time estimates do not suffer from what is often referred to as the ”end–of-sample bias”. Secondly, it is possible to assess the uncertainty of potential output growth estimates with different degrees of smoothness. JEL Classification: C32, C51, E32, O47
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jerome & Mestre, Ricardo, 2005. "An area-wide model for the euro area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 39-59, January.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"On the Model-Based Interpretation of Filters and the Reliability of Trend-Cycle Estimates,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2009. "On the Model-Based Interpretation of Filters and the Reliability of Trend-Cycle Estimates," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1-3), pages 186-208.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "On the Model Based Interpretation of Filters and the Reliability of Trend-Cycle Estimates," CEIS Research Paper 84, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1996.
"How Precise are Estimates of the Natural Rate of Unemployment?,"
NBER Working Papers
5477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas O. Staiger & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1997. "How Precise Are Estimates of the Natural Rate of Unemployment?," NBER Chapters, in: Reducing Inflation: Motivation and Strategy, pages 195-246 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997.
"The Time-Varying NAIRU and Its Implications for Economic Policy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 11-32, Winter.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1996. "The Time-varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1996. "The Time-Varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," NBER Working Papers 5735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tommaso PROIETTI & Alberto MUSSO & Thomas WESTERMANN, 2002.
"Estimating Potential Output and the Output Gap for the Euro Area: a Model-Based Production Function Approach,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2002/09, European University Institute.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alberto Musso & Thomas Westermann, 2007. "Estimating potential output and the output gap for the euro area: a model-based production function approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 85-113, July.
- Gomez, Victor, 2001. "The Use of Butterworth Filters for Trend and Cycle Estimation in Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 365-73, July.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1997. "The NAIRU, Unemployment and Monetary Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 33-49, Winter.
- Arabinda Basistha & Richard Startz, 2005.
"Measuring the NAIRU with Reduced Uncertainty: A Multiple Indicator-Common Component Approach,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
46, Society for Computational Economics.
- Arabinda Basistha & Richard Startz, 2004. "Measuring the NAIRU with Reduced Uncertainty: A Multiple Indicator-Common Component Approach," Working Papers UWEC-2004-22, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1998. "Foundations of the Goldilocks Economy: Supply Shocks and the Time-Varying NAIRU," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 297-346.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006.
"Temporal disaggregation by state space methods: Dynamic regression methods revisited,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(3), pages 357-372, November.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004. "Temporal Disaggregation by State Space Methods: Dynamic Regression Methods Revisited," Econometrics 0411011, EconWPA.
- Christian Schumacher, 2008. "Measuring uncertainty of the euro area NAIRU: Monte Carlo and empirical evidence for alternative confidence intervals in a state space framework," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 357-379, March.
- Willman, Alpo, 2002. "Euro area production function and potential output: a supply side system approach," Working Paper Series 0153, European Central Bank.
- Fabio Busetti & Andrew C Harvey, 1998. "Testing for the Presence of a Random Walk in Series with Structural Breaks - (Now published in Journal of Time Series Analysis, 22 (2001), pp.127-150.)," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1998/365, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kaiser, Regina & Maravall, Agustin, 2005.
"Combining filter design with model-based filtering (with an application to business-cycle estimation),"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 691-710.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 2004. "Combining filter design with model based filtering (with an application to business cycle estimation)," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0417, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Holly, Alberto & Monfort, Alain, 1982. "Likelihood Ratio Test, Wald Test, and Kuhn-Tucker Test in Linear Models with Inequality Constraints on the Regression Parameters," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20070804. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.