Welfare implications of Calvo vs. Rotemberg pricing assumptions
This paper compares the welfare implications of two widely used pricing assumptions in the New-Keynesian literature: Calvo-pricing vs. Rotemberg-pricing. We show that despite the strong similarities between the two assumptions to a first order of approximation, in general they might entail different welfare costs at higher order of approximation. In the special case of non-distorted steady state, the two pricing assumptions imply identical welfare losses to a second order of approximation. JEL Classification: E3, E5
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Barbara Roffia & Andrea Zaghini, 2008.
"Excess money growth and inflation dynamics,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
657, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Monopolistic Price Adjustment and Aggregate Output," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 517-31, October.
- Basso, Henrique S. & Calvo-Gonzalez, Oscar & Jurgilas, Marius, 2007. "Financial dollarization: the role of banks and interest rates," Working Paper Series 0748, European Central Bank.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 198-230, February.
- Martin Uribe & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 2001. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," CEPR Discussion Papers 2942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," Departmental Working Papers 200105, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 9220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Lamo & Javier J. Pérez & Ludger Schuknecht, 2013.
"The cyclicality of consumption, wages and employment of the public sector in the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(12), pages 1551-1569, April.
- Javier J. Perez & Ana Lamo & Ludger Schuknecht, . "The Cyclicality of Consumption, Wages and Employment of the Public Sector in the Euro Area," EcoMod2007 23900062, EcoMod.
- Lamo, Ana & Pérez, Javier J. & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2007. "The cyclicality of consumption, wages and employment of the public sector in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0757, European Central Bank.
- Philipp Engler & Michael Fidora & Christian Thimann, 2009.
"External Imbalances and the US Current Account: How Supply-Side Changes Affect an Exchange Rate Adjustment ,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 927-941, November.
- Engler, Philipp & Fidora, Michael & Thimann, Christian, 2007. "External imbalances and the US current account: how supply-side changes affect an exchange rate adjustment," Working Paper Series 0761, European Central Bank.
- Jalava, Jukka & Kavonius, Ilja Kristian, 2007. "Durable goods and their effect on household saving ratios in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0755, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2009.
"Explaining Monetary Policy in Press Conferences,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(2), pages 42-84, June.
- Reynard, Samuel, 2007.
"Maintaining low inflation: money, interest rates, and policy stance,"
Working Paper Series
0756, European Central Bank.
- Reynard, Samuel, 2007. "Maintaining low inflation: Money, interest rates, and policy stance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1441-1471, July.
- Samuel Reynard, 2007. "Maintaining Low Inflation: Money, Interest Rates, and Policy Stance," Working Papers 2007-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Juillard, Michel, 1996. "Dynare : a program for the resolution and simulation of dynamic models with forward variables through the use of a relaxation algorithm," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9602, CEPREMAP.
- Boissay, Frédéric & Gropp, Reint, 2007.
"Trade credit defaults and liquidity provision by firms,"
Working Paper Series
0753, European Central Bank.
- Frederic Boissay & Reint Gropp, 2007. "Trade Credit Defaults and Liquidity Provision by Firms," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 179, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Yun, Tack, 1996. "Nominal price rigidity, money supply endogeneity, and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 345-370, April.
- Nistico, Salvatore, 2007. "The welfare loss from unstable inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 51-57, July.
- Mendicino, Caterina, 2007.
"Credit market and macroeconomic volatility,"
Working Paper Series
0743, European Central Bank.
- Jan Bruha & Jiri Podpiera, 2006. "Transition Economy Convergence in a Two-Country Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 154, Society for Computational Economics.
- Levine, Paul & Pearlman, Joseph & Pierse, Richard, 2008.
"Linear-quadratic approximation, external habit and targeting rules,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 3315-3349, October.
- Levine, Paul & Pearlman, Joseph G. & Pierse, Richard, 2007. "Linear-quadratic approximation, external habit and targeting rules," Working Paper Series 0759, European Central Bank.
- Wolswijk, Guido, 2007. "Short- and long-run tax elasticities: the case of the Netherlands," Working Paper Series 0763, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20070770. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.