The cyclicality of consumption, wages and employment of the public sector in the euro area
This study examines the business cycle behaviour of public consumption and its main components; the public wage bill (including compensation per employee and public employment) and intermediate consumption in the euro area aggregate, euro area countries and a group of selected non-euro area OECD countries (Denmark, Sweden, the UK, Japan and the US). It looks across a large number of variables and methods, using annual data from 1960 to 2005. It finds robust evidence supporting that public consumption, wages and employment co-move with the business cycle in a pro-cyclical manner with 1-2 year lags, notably for the euro area aggregate and euro area countries. The findings reflect mainly the correlation between cyclical developments (automatic stabilizers), but also point to the important role of pro-cyclical discretionary fiscal policies. JEL Classification: E62, E63, H50
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2001.
"On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
479, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ravn, Morten O & Uhlig, Harald, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CEPR Discussion Papers 2858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S. & Ravn, M., 1997. "On Adjusting the H-P Filter for the Frequency of Observations," Discussion Paper 1997-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Philip R. Lane & Aaron Tornell, 1997.
"Voracity and Growth,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1807, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Saiz, Lorena, 2006.
"Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1687-1706.
- Máximo Camacho & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Lorena Saiz, 2004. "Are european business cycles close enough to be just one?," Working Papers 0408, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2004. "Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 16, Society for Computational Economics.
- Camacho, Maximo & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel & Sáiz Matute, Lorena, 2005. "Are European Business Cycles Close Enough to be Just One?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adriana Arreaza & Bent E. Sgrensen & Oved Yosha, 1999.
"Consumption Smoothing through Fiscal Policy in OECD and EU Countries,"
in: Fiscal Institutions and Fiscal Performance, pages 59-80
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adriana Arreaza & Bent E. Sorensen & Oved Yosha, 1998. "Consumption Smoothing through Fiscal Policy in OECD and EU Countries," NBER Working Papers 6372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arreaza, A. & Sorensen, B.E. & Yosha, O., 1997. "Consumption Smoothing Through Fiscal Policy in OECD and EU Countries," Papers 37-97, Tel Aviv.
- Galí, Jordi & Perotti, Roberto, 2003.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Melitz, Jacques, 2005.
"Non-Discretionary and Automatic Fiscal Policy in the EU and the OECD,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacques Mélitz, 2005. "Non-discretionary and automatic fiscal policy in the EU and the OECD," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 78, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jacques Melitz, 2005. "Non-Discretionary and Automatic Fiscal Policy in the EU and the OECD," Working Papers 2005-10, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jordi GalÌ & Roberto Perotti, 2003. "Fiscal policy and monetary integration in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 533-572, October.
- Lane, Philip R., 2003.
"The cyclical behaviour of fiscal policy: evidence from the OECD,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2661-2675, December.
- Philip R. Lane, 2002. "The Cyclical Behaviour of Fiscal Policy: Evidence from the OECD," Trinity Economics Papers 20022, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1990. "Business cycles: real facts and a monetary myth," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 3-18.
- Andre, Francisco J. & Perez, Javier J. & Martin, Ricardo, 2002. "Computing white stylized facts on comovement," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 65-71, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band pass filter,"
9906, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Javier J. Pérez & Francisco J. André, 2003.
"Robust Stylized Facts on Comovement for the Spanish Economy,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2003/02, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Francisco Andre & Javier Perez, 2005. "Robust stylized facts on comovement for the Spanish economy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 453-462.
- Wouter J. Den Haan & Steven Sumner, 2001.
"The Comovements between Real Activity and Prices in the G7,"
NBER Working Papers
8195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- den Haan, Wouter J. & Sumner, Steven W., 2004. "The comovement between real activity and prices in the G7," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1333-1347, December.
- Den Haan, Wouter & Sumner, Steven, 2001. "The Comovements between Real Activity and Prices in the G7," CEPR Discussion Papers 2801, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Jeon, Yongil, 2004. "Thick modeling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 323-343, March.
- den Haan, Wouter J., 2000.
"The comovement between output and prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 3-30, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Den Haan JME(2000) correlation of comovements," Statistical Software Components RTZ00042, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1994.
"Stylized facts of business cycles in the G7 from a real business cycles perspective,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 235-269, February.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1992. "Stylized Facts of Business Cycles in the G7 from a Real Business Cycles Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Canova, Fabio, 1993.
"Detrending and Business Cycle Facts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
782, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Canova, Fabio, 1998. "Detrending and business cycle facts: A user's guide," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 533-540, May.
- F. Ballabriga & C. Martinez-Mongay, 2002. "Has EMU shifted policy?," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 166, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Ernesto Talvi & Carlos A. Vegh, 2000. "Tax Base Variability and Procyclical Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 7499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katharine G. Abraham & John C. Haltiwanger, 1995. "Real Wages and the Business Cycle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(3), pages 1215-1264, September.
- den Haan, Wouter J. & SUMNER, STEVEN W, 2001. "The Comovements Between Real Activity and Prices," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8c23205t, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20070757. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.