The distribution of contract durations across firms: a unified framework for understanding and comparing dynamic wage and price setting models
This paper shows how any steady state distribution of ages and related hazard rates can be represented as a distribution across firms of completed contract lengths. The distribution is consistent with a Generalised Taylor Economy or a Generalised Calvo model with duration dependent reset probabilities. Equivalent distributions have different degrees of forward lookingness and imply different behaviour in response to monetary shocks. We also interpret data on the proportions of firms changing price in a period, and the resultant range of average contract lengths. JEL Classification: E50
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guerrieri, Luca, 2006.
"The Inflation Persistence of Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(2), pages 483-494, March.
- Baudry, Laurent & Le Bihan, Hervé & Sevestre, Patrick & Tarrieu, Sylvie, 2004.
"Price rigidity. Evidence from the French CPI micro-data,"
Working Paper Series
0384, European Central Bank.
- Baudry, L. & Le Bihan, H. & Sevestre, P. & Tarrieu, S., 2004. "Price Rigidity. Evidence from the French CPI Macro-Data," Working papers 113, Banque de France.
- Huw Dixon & Engin Kara, 2005.
"How to Compare Taylor and Calvo Contracts: a comment on Michael Kiley,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
200504, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Dixon, Huw & Kara, Engin, 2006. "How to Compare Taylor and Calvo Contracts: A Comment on Michael Kiley," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 1119-1126, June.
- Huw Dixon & Engin Kara, . "How to Compare Taylor and Calvo Contracts: A Comment on Michael Kiley," Discussion Papers 05/04, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kiley, Michael T, 2002.
"Partial Adjustment and Staggered Price Setting,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 283-98, May.
- Ascari, G., 1997.
"Optimizing Agents, Staggered Wages and Persistence in the Real Effects of Money Shocks,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
486, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ascari, Guido, 2000. "Optimising Agents, Staggered Wages and Persistence in the Real Effects of Money Shocks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 664-86, July.
- Veronese, Giovanni & Fabiani, Silvia & Gattulli, Angela & Sabbatini, Roberto, 2005. "Consumer price behaviour in Italy: evidence from micro CPI data," Working Paper Series 0449, European Central Bank.
- Carlson, John A & Horrigan, Michael W, 1983. "Measures of Unemployment Duration as Guides to Research and Policy: Comment [An Experience-Weighted Measure of Employment and Unemployment Duration]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1143-50, December.
- Christopher J. Erceg, 1997. "Nominal wage rigidities and the propagation of monetary disturbances," International Finance Discussion Papers 590, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20060676. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.