Interlinking securities settlement systems: a strategic commitment?
Central securities depositories (CSDs) have opened mutual links, but most of them are seldom used. Why are idle links established? By allowing a foreign CSD to offer services through the link the domestic CSD invites competition. The domestic CSD can determine the cost efficiency of the rival by charging suitable fees, and prevent it from becoming more competitive than the domestic CSD. By inviting the competitor the domestic CSD can commit itself not to charge monopoly fees for secondary market services. This enables the domestic CSD to charge high fees in the primary market without violating investors’ participation constraints. JEL Classification: G29, L13
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J-J. Laffont & J. Tirole, 1994.
"Access Pricing and Competition,"
95-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1992. "Access Pricing and Competition," IDEI Working Papers 19, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Access Pricing and Competition," Working papers 94-31, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2001. "Competing cybermediaries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 797-808, May.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996.
"Network externalities, complementarities, and invitations to enter,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 211-233, September.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "Network Externalities, Complementarities, and Invitations to Enter," Industrial Organization 9701004, EconWPA.
- Schmiedel, Heiko & Malkamaki, Markku & Tarkka, Juha, 2006. "Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1783-1806, June.
- Heiko Schmiedel & Andreas Schönenberger, 2005. "Integration of securities market infrastructures in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 33, European Central Bank.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1997. "Competition in Telecommunications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 64-82, Spring.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Malkamaki, Markku, 2001.
"Are expansions cost effective for stock exchanges? A global perspective,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2339-2366, December.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Malkamäki, Markku, 2000. "Are Expansions Cost Effective for Stock Exchanges? A Global Perspective," Research Discussion Papers 20/2000, Bank of Finland.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2007.
"Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 91-116, January.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Tapking, Jens, 2004. "Raising rival's costs in the securities settlement industry," Working Paper Series 0376, European Central Bank.
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521800952.
- repec:bof:bofrdp:2002_026 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xavier Freixas, 2004. "The Assessment: European Financial Integration," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 475-489, Winter.
- Yanelle, Marie-Odile, 1989. "The strategic analysis of intermediation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 294-301, March.
- Schmiedel, Heiko & Malkamäki, Markku & Tarkka , Juha, 2002. "Economies of scale and technological development in securities depository and settlement systems," Research Discussion Papers 26/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Kandel, Eugene & Marx, Leslie M., 1998. "The Effects of Transaction Costs on Stock Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 130-150, April.
- Park, Yong-Sam & Ahn, Byong-Hun, 1999. "Joint ownership and interconnection pricing in network industries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 183-198, June.
- Leinonen, Harry, 2003. "Restructuring securities systems processing – a blue print proposal for real-time/t+0 processing," Research Discussion Papers 7/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Claude Crampes & Jean-Jaques Laffont, 2001. "Transport Pricing in the Electricity Industry," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(3), pages 313-328.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20050427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.