Equilibrium bidding in the Eurosystem's open market operations
Open market operations play a key role in allocating central bank funds to the banking system and thereby to steer short-term interest rates in line with the stance of monetary policy. This note presents some elements of a theory of bidding in central bank tenders in a framework such as the one of the Eurosystem. The ECB has so far used fixed rate tenders and a variant of the variable rate tender, which may be similar to a fixed rate tender depending on market circumstances. In doing so, it faced consecutively an 'under-' and an 'overbidding' issue. The tools developed in this note to understand the bidding behavior of banks in these operations allow revisiting these phenomena and the more general question of the optimal tender procedure and allotment policy. JEL Classification: D84, E43, E52
|Date of creation:||Apr 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertoli & Alessandro Prati, 2000.
"Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0123, Econometric Society.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2001. "Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of Federal Reserve intervention," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1287-1317, July.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2000.
"A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2003. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 883-902, October.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Working Papers 0016, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Papers 0011, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2001.
"Why did the banks overbid? An empirical model of the fixed rate tenders of the European Central Bank,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 857-870, November.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2001. "Why Did the Banks Overbid? An Empirical Model of the Fixed Rate Tenders of the European Central Bank," Working Papers 0105, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2001. "Why Did the Banks Overbid? An Empirical Model of the Fixed Rate Tenders of the European Cental Bank," Papers 0104, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20020137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.