Transmission of monetary policy shocks in Finland: evidence from bank level data on loans
We use a panel of quarterly time series observations on Finnish banks to estimate reduced form equations for the growth rate of bank loans. By allowing for individual bank specific effects in the empirical models we specifically seek evidence of a bank-lending channel for the transmission of monetary policy shocks in Finland. On the basis of our estimation results, we conclude that there is weak evidence in favour of the bank-lending channel for monetary policy shocks. Our data overlaps with the post crisis recovery of the Finnish banking sector with specific government support measures still active during the good part of the sample period. We try to capture the effects of these measures through a policy dummy variable in our empirical models. This policy dummy is highly significant, suggesting that the measures may have contributed to the growth rate of bank loans during the sample period JEL Classification: E51, E52, G21
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1988.
"Credit, Money, and Aggregate Demand,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 435-39, May.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, March.
- Hyungsik R. Moon & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1999.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation in Panels with Incidental Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1246, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Moon, Hyungsik R & Phillips, Peter C B, 1999. " Maximum Likelihood Estimation in Panels with Incidental Trends," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 711-47, Special I.
- Moon, Hyungsik & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1999. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation in Panels with Incidental Trends," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt3f55r5mj, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1999.
"Monetary policy shocks: What have we learned and to what end?,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 65-148
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1998. "Monetary Policy Shocks: What Have We Learned and to What End?," NBER Working Papers 6400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1997. "Monetary policy shocks: what have we learned and to what end?," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues WP-97-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Stefan Krause, 2001. "Financial Structure, Macroeconomic Stability and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 8354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arellano, Manuel & Honore, Bo, 2001.
"Panel data models: some recent developments,"
Handbook of Econometrics,
in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 53, pages 3229-3296
- Stephen Bond & Julie Ann Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoît Mulkay, 1999.
"Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK : A Comparison using Company Panel Data,"
99-64, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Steve Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997. "Financial factors and investment in Belgium, France, German and the UK: A comparison using company panel data," IFS Working Papers W97/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997. "Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK:A Comparison Using Company Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 5900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvarez, J. & Arellano, M., 1998.
"The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators,"
9808, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Javier Alvarez & Manuel Arellano, 2003. "The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1121-1159, 07.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:6-99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Phillips & Hyungsik Moon, 2000.
"Nonstationary panel data analysis: an overview of some recent developments,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 263-286.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Nonstationary Panel Data Analysis: An Overview of Some Recent Developments," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1221, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2000. "Asset Price Bubbles and Monetary Policy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-26, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"Monetary Policy and Bank Lending,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 221-261
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jääskelä, Jarkko & Vilmunen, Jouko, 1999. "Anticipated monetary policy and the dynamic behaviour of the term structure of interest rates," Research Discussion Papers 12/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Trautwein, Hans-Michael, 2000. " The Credit View, Old and New," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 155-89, April.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 2000. "Bubbles and Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 236-55, January.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1995.
"The impact of monetary policy on bank balance sheets,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 151-195, June.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994. "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets," NBER Working Papers 4821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1997. "The role of banks in monetary policy: a survey with implications for the European Monetary Union," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Sep, pages 2-18.
- Arellano, Manuel, 1993. "On the testing of correlated effects with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 87-97, September.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Rodrigo Valdes & Oscar Landerretche, 2001.
"Lending Booms: Latin America and the World,"
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION,
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 47-100, January.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Rodrigo Valdes & Oscar Landerretche, 2001. "Lending Booms: Latin America and the World," NBER Working Papers 8249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Landerretche, Oscar & Valdés, Rodrigo, 2001. "Lending Booms: Latin America and the World," CEPR Discussion Papers 2811, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000. "Equity, Bonds, and Bank Debt: Capital Structure and Financial Market Equilibrium under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(2), pages 324-351, April.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1994. "Monetary Policy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number greg94-1, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20010100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.