Investment and Financing Decisions when Liquidation is Costly
In this paper we investigate how expected liquidation costs affect a firm's investment and financing decisions. We hypothesise that comovement of firm and industry sales measures such costs, which create a premium on external finance and make investment more sensitive to the availability of internal funds. Supportive evidence for this conjecture is obtained from the investment behaviour of a sample of 206 large Dutch manufacturing firms observed during the period 1983-1996. We also demonstrate that our measure of expected liquidation costs does not convey the same information that other proxies for the premium on external finance - like leverage, retention practice or firm size - already contain.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert S. Chirinko & Huntley Schaller, 1993.
"Why does liquidity matter in investment equations?,"
Research Working Paper
93-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Chirinko, Robert S & Schaller, Huntley, 1995. "Why Does Liquidity Matter in Investment Equations?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 527-48, May.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles Himmelberg, 1999.
"Investment: Fundamentals and Finance,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1998, volume 13, pages 223-274
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haramillo, Fidel & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Weiss, Andrew, 1996.
"Capital market imperfections before and after financial liberalization: An Euler equation approach to panel data for Ecuadorian firms,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 367-386, December.
- Fabio Schiantarelli & Andrew Weiss & Fidel Jaramillo, 1993. "Capital Market Imperfections Before And After Financial Liberization: An Euler Equation Approach To Panel Data For Ecuadorian Firms," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 221, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jaramillo, Fidel & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Weiss, Andrew, 1993. "Capital market imperfections before and after financial liberalization : a Euler Equation approach to panel data for Ecuadorian firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1091, The World Bank.
- Luigi Guiso & Giuseppe Parigi, 1999.
"Investment And Demand Uncertainty,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 185-227, February.
- Bond, Stephen & Meghir, Costas, 1994.
"Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 197-222, April.
- Stephen Bond & Costas Meghir, 1990. "Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0013, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Xiaoqiang Hu & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1998. "Investment And Capital Market Imperfections: A Switching Regression Approach Using U.S. Firm Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 466-479, August.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1994. "Inventory (Dis)Investment, Internal Finance Fluctuations, and the Business Cycle," Macroeconomics 9401001, EconWPA.
- Harris, John R & Schiantarelli, Fabio & Siregar, Miranda G, 1994. "The Effect of Financial Liberalization on the Capital Structure and Investment Decisions of Indonesian Manufacturing Establishments," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(1), pages 17-47, January.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2000. "Measurement Error and the Relationship between Investment and q," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 1027-1057, October.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1998.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 193-225, March.
- Shyam-Sunder, Lakshmi & C. Myers, Stewart, 1999. "Testing static tradeoff against pecking order models of capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 219-244, February.
- Abel, Andrew B & Eberly, Janice C, 1994.
"A Unified Model of Investment under Uncertainty,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1369-84, December.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1993. "A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 4296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, . "A Unified Model of Investment Under Uncertainty," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-93, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Fabio Schiantarelli & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2000. "Form of Ownership and Financial Constraints:Panel Data Evidence From Flow of Funds and Investment Equations," Empirica, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 175-192, June.
- Oliner, Stephen D & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992. "Sources of the Financing Hierarchy for Business Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 643-54, November.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1995.
"Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment,"
95-01, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gilchrist, S. & Himmelberg, C.P., 1995. "Evidence on the Role of Cash Flow for Investment," Papers 95-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Simon Gilchrist & Charles P. Himmelberg, 1993. "Evidence on the role of cash flow for investment," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huntley Schaller, 1993. "Asymmetric Information, Liquidity Constraints and Canadian Investment," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 552-74, August.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1993. "Working Capital and Fixed Investment: New Evidence on Financing Constraints," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 328-342, Autumn.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Anil K Kashyap & Toni M. Whited, 1993. "Internal Finance and Firm Investment," NBER Working Papers 4392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:wormem:721. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.