When Basle II doesn't work: Contingency Rules versus Fixed Requirements
Under the new Basle Capital Accords, regulation takes the form of a contingency rule prescribing a certain level of bank capital contingent on the bank's risk taking behaviour in choosing its asset portfolio. In a simple dynamic model of banking with binding regulation we show that such Basle II regulation is Pareto inferior to regulation by a fixed capital requirement if and only if some condition on elasticities is satisfied. We provide a simple example to illustrate our findings.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilko Bolt & Alexander F. Tieman, 2004.
"Banking Competition, Risk and Regulation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(4), pages 783-804, December.
- W. Bolt & A.F. Tieman, 2001. "Banking competition, risk and regulation," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 70, Netherlands Central Bank.
- W. Bolt & A. F. Tieman, 2001. "Banking competition, risk, and regulation," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 647, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Alexander F. Tieman & Wilko Bolt, 2004. "Banking Competition, Risk, and Regulation," IMF Working Papers 04/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000. "Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1751, July.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Winton, "undated". "Bank Capital Regulation in General Equilibrium," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 17-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Winton, 1995. "Bank Capital Regulation in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 5244, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V, 1998. "The Economics of Bank Regulation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 745-770, November.
- Bhattacharya, S. & Boot, A.W.A. & Thakor, A.V., 1995. "The Economics of Bank Regulation," Papers 9516, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Thakor, Anjan V. & Boot, Arnoud W.A. & Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1995. "The economics of bank regulation," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB 7082, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, July.
- P.J.G. Vlaar, 2000. "Capital requirements and competition in the banking industry," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 634, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Peter Vlaar, 2000. "Capital requirements and competition in banking industry," Working Paper Series WP-00-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:wormem:681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.