Wage Inflation and the Distribution of Output Gaps in Europe: Insiders vs. Outsiders
This paper examines whether Europe's monetary union framework of "ins" and "outs" reflects differences in market structures underpinned by relatively immobile labour. Such a situation could give rise to sufficient nominal convergence to satisfy the entry requirements to EMU, but little real convergence and hence a significant incentive for some to stay outside. Using models of wage leadership vs. locational competition, we examine the extent and strength of integration in labour market costs using a sample of data covering the 1980s and 1990s - i.e. for the run up to EMU. This exposes a conflict between real and nominal convergence which is ultimately incompatible with further integration. The empirical evidence suggests that wage bargainers now appear to focus more on their own domestic market conditions. That may deliver a better economic performance, but little extra integration.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thirlwall, A P, 1970. "Regional Phillips Curves," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 32(1), pages 19-32, February.
- Fratianni, Michele & von Hagen, Juergen, 1990. "The European Monetary System ten years after," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 173-241, January.
- Artis, Michael J & Nachane, Dilip M, 1989.
"Wages and Prices in Europe: A Test of the German Leadership Thesis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
296, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Artis & Dilip Nachane, 1990. "Wages and prices in Europe: A test of the German leadership thesis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 59-77, March.
- Hallett, A.J. Hughes, 2000. "Aggregate Phillips Curves Are Not Always Vertical: Heterogeneity And Mismatch In Multiregion Or Multisector Economies," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(04), pages 534-546, December.
- Hughes Hallett, A & Ma, Y & Melitz, J, 1995.
"Unification and the Policy Predicament in Gemany,"
01, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Edward H. Gardner & William R. M. Perraudin, 1993. "Asymmetry in the ERM: A Case Study of French and German Interest Rates Before and After German Unification," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 427-450, June.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521483308 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bhaskar, V, 1990. "Wage Relativities and the Natural Range of Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 60-66, Supplemen.
- Demertzis, Maria & Hallett, Andrew Hughes, 1998. "Asymmetric transmission mechanisms and the rise in European unemployment: A case of structural differences or of policy failures?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 869-886, June.
- Artis, Michael J & Ormerod, Paul, 1991. "Is There an `EMS' Effect in European Labour Markets?," CEPR Discussion Papers 598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brechling, Frank, 1973. "Wage Inflation and the Structure of Regional Unemployment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 355-79, Part II F.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:4:y:2000:i:4:p:534-46 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ma, Yue, 1992. "East Germany, West Germany, and their Mezzogiorno Problem: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:wormem:631. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.