Intermediation, integration and internationalisation: a survey on banking in Europe
This paper provides a survey on recent and current developments in the European banking industry. Traditional banking activities have diminished in relative terms, but banks remain the predominant players in the euro area financial system. Economic and monetary integration in the EU has strongly encouraged internationalisation and concentration. The share of foreign assets and liabilities on the EU banks' balance sheets is still modest but sharply rising. So far, mergers and acquisitions have mainly been of a domestic nature. Informational technology has changed banks' production, products and markets, whereas the Internet may radically change the way banks interact with customers. All these phenomena have strong effects on concentration, competition and efficiency. Finally, we address the question whether the observed consolidation and increased competition might have impaired financial stability.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Canoy & Machiel van Dijk & Jan Lemmen & Ruud de Mooij & JÃ¼rgen Weigand, 2001. "Competition and stability in banking," CPB Document 15, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Agnes Belaisch & Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Laura E. Kodres & Angel J. Ubide, 2001. "Euro-Area Banking At the Crossroads," IMF Working Papers 01/28, International Monetary Fund.
- David Besanko & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "Relationship Banking, Deposit Insurance and Bank Portfolio Choice," Finance 0411046, EconWPA.
- Smith, Bruce D., 1984. "Private information, deposit interest rates, and the `stability' of the banking system," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 293-317, November.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- J.A. Bikker, 1999.
"Efficiency in the European banking industry: an exploratory analysis to rank countries,"
Research Series Supervision (discontinued)
18, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Jacob A. Bikker, 2001. "Efficiency in the European banking industry: an exploratory analysis to rank contries," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 17.
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2005.
"Bank Mergers, Competition and Liquidity,"
Working Paper Series
182, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2004. "Bank Mergers, Competition and Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 4260, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2006. "Bank mergers, competition and liquidity," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Elena Carletti & Philipp Hartman & Giancarlo Spagnolo, 2003. "Bank mergers, competition, and liquidity," Proceedings 854, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2003. "Bank mergers, competition and liquidity," Working Paper Series 0292, European Central Bank.
- Carletti, Elena & Hartmann, Philipp, 2002.
"Competition and stability: what's special about banking?,"
Working Paper Series
0146, European Central Bank.
- Philipp Hartmann & Elena Carletti, 2002. "Competition and Stability: What's Special about Banking?," FMG Special Papers sp140, Financial Markets Group.
- Nagarajan, S. & Sealey, C.W., 1993.
"Forbearance, Deposit Insurance Pricing, and Incentive Compatible Bank Regulation,"
93-05, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Nagarajan, S. & Sealey, C. W., 1995. "Forbearance, deposit insurance pricing, and incentive compatible bank regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 1109-1130, September.
- G. G. Garcia, 2000. "Deposit Insurance; Actual and Good Practices," IMF Occasional Papers 197, International Monetary Fund.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Measures of competition and concentration in the banking industry: a review of the literature," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 27, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Gianni De Nicolo & Myron L. Kwast, 2001. "Systemic risk and financial consolidation: are they related?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-33, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thakor, Anjan V., 2000. "Relationship Banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-5, January.
- Franklin R. Edwards & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995.
"The decline of traditional banking: implications for financial stability and regulatory policy,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 27-45.
- Franklin R. Edwards & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995. "The Decline of Traditional Banking: Implications for Financial Stabilityand Regulatory Policy," NBER Working Papers 4993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1996. "Competition for Deposits, Fragility, and Insurance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 184-216, April.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:ressup:53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.