The formation of European inflation expectations: One learning rule does not fit all
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Wändi Bruine de Bruin & Simon M. Potter & Robert W. Rich & Giorgio Topa & Wilbert Van der Klaauw, 2010. "Improving survey measures of household inflation expectations," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 16(Aug/Sep).
- Berardi, Michele & Galimberti, Jaqueson K., 2013.
"A note on exact correspondences between adaptive learning algorithms and the Kalman filter,"
Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 139-142.
- Michele Berardi & Jaqueson K. Galimberti, 2012. "A note on exact correspondences between adaptive learning algorithms and the Kalman filter," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 170, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Cukierman, Alex & Wachtel, Paul, 1979. "Differential Inflationary Expectations and the Variability of the Rate of Inflation: Theory and Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 595-609, September.
- Siklos, Pierre L., 2013.
"Sources of disagreement in inflation forecasts: An international empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 218-231.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2012. "Sources of Disagreement in Inflation Forecasts: An International Empirical Investigation," CAMA Working Papers 2012-42, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jan Marc Berk, 1999. "Measuring inflation expectations: a survey data approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1467-1480.
- Pfajfar, Damjan & Santoro, Emiliano, 2010.
"Heterogeneity, learning and information stickiness in inflation expectations,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 426-444, September.
- Damjan Pfajfar & Emiliano Santoro, 2010. "Heterogeneity, Learning and Information Stickiness in Inflation Expectations," Post-Print hal-00849412, HAL.
- Markiewicz, Agnieszka & Pick, Andreas, 2014.
"Adaptive learning and survey data,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 107(PB), pages 685-707.
- Agnieszka Markiewicz & Andreas Pick, 2013. "Adaptive Learning and Survey Data," CDMA Working Paper Series 201305, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Agnieszka Markiewicz & Andreas Pick, 2014. "Adaptive learning and survey data," DNB Working Papers 411, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Easaw, Joshy & Golinelli, Roberto & Malgarini, Marco, 2013. "What determines households inflation expectations? Theory and evidence from a household survey," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1-13.
- Carceles-Poveda, Eva & Giannitsarou, Chryssi, 2007.
"Adaptive learning in practice,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2659-2697, August.
- Chryssi Giannitsarou & Eva Carceles-Poveda, 2004. "Adaptive Learning in Practice," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 271, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carceles-Poveda, Eva & Giannitsarou, Chryssi, 2006. "Adaptive Learning in Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 5627, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Momferatou, Daphne & Onorante, Luca, 2014.
"Short-term inflation projections: A Bayesian vector autoregressive approach,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 635-644.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Momferatou, Daphne & Onorante, Luca, 2010. "Short-Term Inflation Projections: a Bayesian Vector Autoregressive approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 7746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Daphné Momferatu & Luca Onorante, 2010. "Short-term inflation projections: a Bayesian vector autoregressive approach," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Todd E. Clark & Troy A. Davig, 2008. "An empirical assessment of the relationships among inflation and short- and long-term expectations," Research Working Paper RWP 08-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Doepke Joerg & Dovern Jonas & Fritsche Ulrich & Slacalek Jiri, 2008.
"The Dynamics of European Inflation Expectations,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Jörg Döpke & Jonas Dovern & Ulrich Fritsche & Jiri Slacalek, 2006. "The Dynamics of European Inflation Expectations," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 571, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jonas Dovern & Joerg Doepke & Ulrich Fritsche & Jirka Slacalek, 2006. "The Dynamics of European Inflation Expectations," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200603, University of Hamburg, Department of Socioeconomics.
- Berardi, Michele & Galimberti, Jaqueson K., 2014.
"A note on the representative adaptive learning algorithm,"
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 104-107.
- Michele Bernardi & Jaqueson K. Galimberti, 2014. "A Note on the Representative Adaptive Learning Algorithm," KOF Working papers 14-356, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Inflation expectations and inflation forecasting," Speech 306, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2010.
"Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(1), pages 237-262, February.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," CESifo Working Paper Series 1576, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evans, G.W. & Honkapohja ,S. & Williams, N., 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0545, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2005-17, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 18 May 2008.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja & Noah Williams, 2005. "Generalized Stochastic Gradient Learning," NBER Technical Working Papers 0317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2008. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9787111235767, April.
- Francisco Dias & Cláudia Duarte & António Rua, 2010. "Inflation expectations in the euro area: are consumers rational?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 146(3), pages 591-607, September.
- Fabio Milani, 2011.
"Expectation Shocks and Learning as Drivers of the Business Cycle,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 379-401, May.
- Milani, Fabio, 2010. "Expectation Shocks and Learning as Drivers of the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 7743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forsells, Magnus & Kenny, Geoff, 2002. "The rationality of consumers' inflation expectations: survey-based evidence for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0163, European Central Bank.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2003.
"Macroeconomic Expectations of Households and Professional Forecasters,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 269-298.
- Christopher D Carroll, 2002. "Macroeconomic Expectations of Households and Professional Forecasters," Economics Working Paper Archive 477, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Ronald Bewley & Denzil G. Fiebig, 2002. "On the herding instinct of interest rate forecasters," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 403-425.
- Branch, William A. & Evans, George W., 2006.
"A simple recursive forecasting model,"
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 158-166, May.
- Wiliam Branch & George W. Evans, 2005. "A Simple Recursive Forecasting Model," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2005-3, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Feb 2005.
- Michela Nardo, 2003. "The Quantification of Qualitative Survey Data : A Critical Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 645-668, December.
- Harvey, David & Leybourne, Stephen & Newbold, Paul, 1997. "Testing the equality of prediction mean squared errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-291, June.
- Batchelor, Roy A & Orr, Adrian B, 1988. "Inflation Expectations Revisited," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 55(219), pages 317-331, August.
- Pfajfar, D. & Santoro, E., 2008. "Asymmetries in Inflation Expectation Formation Across Demographic Groups," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0824, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:jul10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carlson, John A & Parkin, J Michael, 1975. "Inflation Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(166), pages 123-138, May.
- Michele Berardi & Jaqueson K. Galimberti, 2012. "On the initialization of adaptive learning algorithms: A review of methods and a new smoothing-based routine," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 175, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malka de Castro Campos & Federica Teppa, 2016. "Individual inflation expectations in a declining-inflation environment: Evidence from survey data," DNB Working Papers 508, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
More about this item
KeywordsInflation expectations; adaptive learning algorithms; household survey;
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2015-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2015-05-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2015-05-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2015-05-09 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2015-05-09 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dnbgvnl.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.