How does unconventional monetary policy affect inequality? Evidence from Japan
Inequality has been largely ignored in the literature and practice of monetary policy, but is gaining more attention recently. We look at how a decade of unconventional monetary policy (UMP) in Japan affected inequality among households using survey data. Our vector auto regression (VAR) results show that UMP widened income inequality, especially after 2008 when quantitative easing became more aggressive. This is largely due to the portfolio channel. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to empirically analyze the distributional impact of UMP. Japan's extensive experience with UMP may hold important policy implications for other countries.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eswar S. Prasad, 2010.
"Financial Sector Regulation and Reforms in Emerging Markets: An Overview,"
NBER Working Papers
16428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2010. "Financial Sector Regulation and Reforms in Emerging Markets: An Overview," IZA Discussion Papers 5233, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Albanesi, Stefania, 2007.
"Inflation and inequality,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1088-1114, May.
- Albanesi, Stefania, 2002. "Inflation and Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 3470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefania Albanesi, 2002. "Inflation and Inequality," Macroeconomics 0201002, EconWPA.
- Stefania Albanesi, . "Inflation and Inequality," Working Papers 199, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Erosa, Andres & Ventura, Gustavo, 2002.
"On inflation as a regressive consumption tax,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 761-795, May.
- Peter Skott, 2011.
"Increasing inequality and financial instability,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2011-20, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Nicholas Rohde, 2008. "A comparison of inequality measurement techniques," Discussion Papers Series 377, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2009.
"Unconventional monetary policies: an appraisal,"
BIS Working Papers
292, Bank for International Settlements.
- Matthias Doepke & Martin Schneider, 2006. "Inflation and the Redistribution of Nominal Wealth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(6), pages 1069-1097, December.
- Jeremy Lise & Nao Sudo & Michio Suzuki & Ken Yamada & Tomoaki Yamada, 2014.
"Wage, Income and Consumption Inequality in Japan, 1981-2008: from Boom to Lost Decades,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 17(4), pages 582-612, October.
- Jeremy Lise & Nao Sudo & Michio Suzuki & Ken Yamada & Tomoaki Yamada, 2013. "Code and data files for "Wage, Income and Consumption Inequality in Japan, 1981-2008: from Boom to Lost Decades"," Computer Codes 13-27, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Jeremy Lise & Nao Sudo & Michio Suzuki & Ken Yamada & Tomoaki Yamada, 2013. "Wage, Income and Consumption Inequality in Japan, 1981-2008: from Boom to Lost Decades," Working Papers 2013-011, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2013. "Defending the One Percent," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 27(3), pages 21-34, Summer.
- Jakob de Haan & Willem van den End & Jon Frost & Christiaan Pattipeilohy & Mostafa Tabbae, 2013.
"Unconventional Monetary Policy of the ECB during the Financial Crisis: An Assessment and New Evidence,"
SUERF 50th Anniversary Volume Chapters,
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Christiaan Pattipeilohy & Jan Willem van den End & Mostafa Tabbae & Jon Frost & Jakob de Haan, 2013. "Unconventional monetary policy of the ECB during the financial crisis: An assessment and new evidence," DNB Working Papers 381, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:423. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.