The Impact of the LCR on the Interbank Money Market
This paper analyzes the impact of a liquidity requirement similar to the Basel 3 Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) on the unsecured interbank money market and therefore on the implementation of monetary policy. Combining two unique datasets of Dutch banks from 2005 to 2011, we show that banks which are just above/below their short-term regulatory liquidity requirement pay and charge higher interest rates for unsecured interbank loans. The effect is larger for maturities longer than the liquidity requirement's 30 day horizon. Being close to the minimum liquidity requirement induces banks to increase borrowing volumes in general while it only decreases lending volumes for maturities longer than 30 days. These results also hold when controlling for an institution's riskiness, the solvency of its counterparts, relationship-lending and period-specific effects.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leo de Haan & Jan Willem van den End, 2012.
"Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation,"
DNB Working Papers
346, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo & van den End, Jan Willem, 2013. "Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3930-3950.
- Stefan W. Schmitz, 2013. "The Impact of the Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) on the Implementation of Monetary Policy," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 42(2), pages 135-170, 07.
- Demiralp, Selva & Preslopsky, Brian & Whitesell, William, 2006.
"Overnight interbank loan markets,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 67-83.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertoli & Alessandro Prati, 2000.
"Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0123, Econometric Society.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2001. "Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of Federal Reserve intervention," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1287-1317, July.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Leonardo Bartolini & Alessandro Prati, 2000. "Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention," IMF Working Papers 00/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Hume, Michael & Sentance, Andrew, 2009.
"The global credit boom: challenges for macroeconomics and policy,"
27, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Hume, Michael & Sentance, Andrew, 2009. "The global credit boom: Challenges for macroeconomics and policy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1426-1461, December.
- Adrian, Tobias & Shin, Hyun Song, 2010.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 418-437, July.
- Holmström, Bengt, 2011.
"Inside and Outside Liquidity,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262015783, June.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2009.
"The Credit Crisis: Conjectures about Causes and Remedies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 606-10, May.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram Rajan, 2009. "The Credit Crisis: Conjectures about Causes and Remedies," NBER Working Papers 14739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Allen N. Berger & Christa H. S. Bouwman, 2009. "Bank Liquidity Creation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3779-3837, September.
- Ulrich Bindseil & Jeroen Lamoot, 2011. "The Basel III framework for liquidity standards and monetary policy implementation," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Eduardo Jallath-Coria & Tridas Mukhopadhyay & Amir Yaron, 2002. "How Well Do Banks Manage Their Reserves?," NBER Working Papers 9388, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott Hendry & Nadja Kamhi, 2009. "Uncollateralized overnight lending in Canada," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(11), pages 869-880.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Casper Christophersen, 2010. "Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance," Working Paper 2010/11, Norges Bank.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- Shrieves, Ronald E. & Dahl, Drew, 1992. "The relationship between risk and capital in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 439-457, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.