The Impact of the LCR on the Interbank Money Market
This paper analyzes the impact of a liquidity requirement similar to the Basel 3 Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) on the unsecured interbank money market and therefore on the implementation of monetary policy. Combining two unique datasets of Dutch banks from 2005 to 2011, we show that banks which are just above/below their short-term regulatory liquidity requirement pay and charge higher interest rates for unsecured interbank loans. The effect is larger for maturities longer than the liquidity requirement's 30 day horizon. Being close to the minimum liquidity requirement induces banks to increase borrowing volumes in general while it only decreases lending volumes for maturities longer than 30 days. These results also hold when controlling for an institution's riskiness, the solvency of its counterparts, relationship-lending and period-specific effects.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hume, Michael & Sentance, Andrew, 2009.
"The global credit boom: challenges for macroeconomics and policy,"
27, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Hume, Michael & Sentance, Andrew, 2009. "The global credit boom: Challenges for macroeconomics and policy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1426-1461, December.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Casper Christophersen, 2010. "Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance," Working Paper 2010/11, Norges Bank.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2008.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
328, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Shrieves, Ronald E. & Dahl, Drew, 1992. "The relationship between risk and capital in commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 439-457, April.
- Holmström, Bengt, 2011.
"Inside and Outside Liquidity,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262015783, June.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010.
"Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," MPRA Paper 13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," DNB Working Papers 101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Degryse, Hans & Elahi, Muhammad Ather & Penas, María Fabiana, 2013.
"Determinants of banking system fragility: a regional perspective,"
Working Paper Series
1567, European Central Bank.
- Degryse, Hans & Elahi, Muhammad Ather & Penas, Maria Fabiana, 2012. "Determinants of Banking System Fragility: A Regional Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 8858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Degryse, H.A. & Elahi, M.A. & Penas, M.F., 2012. "Determinants of Banking System Fragility : A Regional Perspective," Discussion Paper 2012-015, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Scott Hendry & Nadja Kamhi, 2009. "Uncollateralized overnight lending in Canada," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(11), pages 869-880.
- Selva Demiralp & Brian Preslopsky & William C. Whitesell, 2004.
"Overnight interbank loan markets,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-29, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1980. "Alternative approaches to the theory of the banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Sandra E. Black & Philip E. Strahan, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and Bank Credit Availability," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2807-2833, December.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:122:y:2007:i:1:p:159-208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ulrich Bindseil & Jeroen Lamoot, 2011. "The Basel III framework for liquidity standards and monetary policy implementation," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- William Poole, 1968. "Commercial Bank Reserve Management In A Stochastic Model: Implications For Monetary Policy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(5), pages 769-791, December.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Todd, Petra & Van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 2001. "Identification and Estimation of Treatment Effects with a Regression-Discontinuity Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 201-09, January.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- McCrary, Justin, 2008. "Manipulation of the running variable in the regression discontinuity design: A density test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 698-714, February.
- Allen N. Berger & Christa H. S. Bouwman, 2009. "Bank Liquidity Creation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3779-3837, September.
- Lerner, Eugene M., 1981. "Discussion: The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 601-602, November.
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2002. "Estimating the Effect of Financial Aid Offers on College Enrollment: A Regression-Discontinuity Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1249-1287, November.
- David S. Lee & Thomas Lemieux, 2009.
"Regression Discontinuity Designs In Economics,"
1118, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Justin McCrary & Heather Royer, 2011.
"The Effect of Female Education on Fertility and Infant Health: Evidence from School Entry Policies Using Exact Date of Birth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(1), pages 158-95, February.
- Justin McCrary & Heather Royer, 2006. "The Effect of Female Education on Fertility and Infant Health: Evidence from School Entry Policies Using Exact Date of Birth," NBER Working Papers 12329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefan W. Schmitz, 2013. "The Impact of the Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) on the Implementation of Monetary Policy," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 42(2), pages 135-170, 07.
- Eduardo Jallath-Coria & Tridas Mukhopadhyay & Amir Yaron, 2002. "How Well Do Banks Manage Their Reserves?," NBER Working Papers 9388, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morten Bech & Todd Keister, 2012. "On the liquidity coverage ratio and monetary policy implementation," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2009.
"The Credit Crisis: Conjectures about Causes and Remedies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 606-10, May.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram Rajan, 2009. "The Credit Crisis: Conjectures about Causes and Remedies," NBER Working Papers 14739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2001.
"Banks' reserve management, transaction costs, and the timing of Federal Reserve intervention,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1287-1317, July.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertoli & Alessandro Prati, 2000. "Banks' Reserve Management, Transaction Costs, and the Timing of Federal Reserve Intervention," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0123, Econometric Society.
- Adrian Blundell-Wignall & Paul Atkinson, 2010. "Thinking beyond Basel III: Necessary Solutions for Capital and Liquidity," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(1), pages 9-33.
- Lee, David S., 2008. "Randomized experiments from non-random selection in U.S. House elections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 675-697, February.
- Leo de Haan & Jan Willem van den End, 2012.
"Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation,"
DNB Working Papers
346, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo & van den End, Jan Willem, 2013. "Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3930-3950.
- Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Dani�lle Walraven, 2011. "Monitoring the unsecured interbank money market using TARGET2 data," DNB Working Papers 276, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Santomero, Anthony M, 1984. "Modeling the Banking Firm: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 576-602, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.