Bank liquidity, the maturity ladder, and regulation
We investigate 62 Dutch banks' liquidity behaviour between January 2004 and March 2010, when these banks were subject to a liquidity regulation that is very similar to Basel III's Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR). We find that most banks hold more liquid assets against their stock of liquid liabilities, such as demand deposits, than strictly required under the regulation. More solvent banks hold fewer liquid assets against their stock of liquid liabilities, suggesting an interaction between capital and liquidity buffers. However, this interaction turns out to be weaker during a crisis. Although not required, some banks consider cash flows scheduled beyond one month ahead when setting liquidity asset holdings, but they seldom look further ahead than one year.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado, 2011.
"Macro-prudential Policy on Liquidity: What Does a DSGE Model Tell Us?,"
CEIS Research Paper
193, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 02 May 2011.
- Chadha, Jagjit S. & Corrado, Luisa, 2012. "Macro-prudential policy on liquidity: What does a DSGE model tell us?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 37-62.
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Luisa Corrado, 2011. "Macro-prudential Policy on Liquidity: What does a DSGE Model tell us?," Studies in Economics 1108, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Mark Mink, 2011. "Procyclical Bank Risk-Taking and the Lender of Last Resort," DNB Working Papers 301, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2009.
NBER Working Papers
14943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holl, Dorothee & Schertler, Andrea, 2009. "Why do savings banks transform sight deposits into illiquid assets less intensively than the regulation allows?," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- De Socio, Antonio, 2013.
"The interbank market after the financial turmoil: Squeezing liquidity in a “lemons market” or asking liquidity “on tap”,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1340-1358.
- Antonio De Socio, 2011. "The interbank market after the financial turmoil: squeezing liquidity in a "lemons market" or asking liquidity "on tap"," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 819, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Zhiguo He & Wei Xiong, 2010.
"Rollover Risk and Credit Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
15653, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huang, Rocco & Ratnovski, Lev, 2011.
"The dark side of bank wholesale funding,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 248-263, April.
- Lev Ratnovski & Rocco Huang, 2010. "The Dark Side of Bank Wholesale Funding," IMF Working Papers 10/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Huang, Rocco & Ratnovski, Lev, 2010. "The dark side of bank wholesale funding," Working Paper Series 1223, European Central Bank.
- Rocco Huang & Lev Ratnovski, 2009. "The dark side of bank wholesale funding," Working Papers 09-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, revised 01 Jun 2010.
- van den End, Jan Willem & Tabbae, Mostafa, 2012.
"When liquidity risk becomes a systemic issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 107-120.
- Jan Willem van den End & Mostafa Tabbae, 2009. "When liquidity risk becomes a macro-prudential issue: Empirical evidence of bank behaviour," DNB Working Papers 230, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, December.
- Clemens Bonner & Iman van Lelyveld & Robert Zymek, 2013.
"Banks' Liquidity Buffers and the Role of Liquidity Regulation,"
DNB Working Papers
393, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Clemens Bonner & Iman Lelyveld & Robert Zymek, 2015. "Banks’ Liquidity Buffers and the Role of Liquidity Regulation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 215-234, December.
- Fátima Teresa Sol Murta & Ana Margarida Garcia, 2010. "The Demand for Excess Reserves in the Euro Area and the Impact of the Current Credit Crisis," GEMF Working Papers 2010-01, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Liliana B Schumacher & Theodore M. Barnhill, 2011. "Modeling Correlated Systemic Liquidity and Solvency Risks in a Financial Environment with Incomplete Information," IMF Working Papers 11/263, International Monetary Fund.
- de Haan, Leo & van den End, Jan Willem, 2013.
"Banks’ responses to funding liquidity shocks: Lending adjustment, liquidity hoarding and fire sales,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 152-174.
- Leo de Haan & Jan Willem van den End, 2011. "Banks' responses to funding liquidity shocks: lending adjustment, liquidity hoarding and fire sales," DNB Working Papers 293, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Viral V. Acharya & David R. Skeie, 2011.
"A model of liquidity hoarding and term premia in inter-bank markets,"
498, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Skeie, David, 2011. "A model of liquidity hoarding and term premia in inter-bank markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 436-447.
- Acharya, Viral V & Skeie, David, 2011. "A Model of Liquidity Hoarding and Term Premia in Inter-Bank Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 8705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral & Song Shin, Hyun & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "Endogenous choice of bank liquidity: the role of fire sales," Bank of England working papers 376, Bank of England.
- Kim, Moshe & Kliger, Doron & Vale, Bent, 2003. "Estimating switching costs: the case of banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-56, January.
- Rösch, Christoph G. & Kaserer, Christoph, 2013. "Market liquidity in the financial crisis: The role of liquidity commonality and flight-to-quality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2284-2302.
- Goodhart, C., 2008. "Liquidity risk management," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 11, pages 39-44, February.
- Ryo Kato & Shun Kobayashi & Yumi Saita, 2010. "Calibrating the Level of Capital: The Way We See It," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 10-E-6, Bank of Japan.
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1980. "Alternative approaches to the theory of the banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, January.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012.
"Short-Term Wholesale Funding and Systemic Risk; A Global Covar Approach,"
IMF Working Papers
12/46, International Monetary Fund.
- López-Espinosa, Germán & Moreno, Antonio & Rubia, Antonio & Valderrama, Laura, 2012. "Short-term wholesale funding and systemic risk: A global CoVaR approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3150-3162.
- GermÃ¡n LÃ³pez-Espinosa & Antonio Moreno & Antonio Rubia & Laura Valderrama, 2012. "Short-term Wholesale Funding and Systemic Risk: A Global CoVaR Approach," Faculty Working Papers 02/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- F.R. Liedorp & L. Medema & M. Koetter & R.H. Koning & I. van Lelyveld, 2010. "Peer monitoring or contagion? Interbank market exposure and bank risk," DNB Working Papers 248, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Deep, Akash & Schaefer, Guido, 2004. "Are Banks Liquidity Transformers?," Working Paper Series rwp04-022, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Robert-Paul Berben & Beata Bierut & Jan Willem van den End & Jan Kakes, 2010. "Macro-effects of higher capital and liquidity requirements for banks," DNB Occasional Studies 803, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1991. "Debt Maturity Structure and Liquidity Risk," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 709-737.
- Rajan ( , Ramkishen S. & Bird, Graham, 2003. "Banks, Maturity Mismatches and Liquidity Crises: A Simple Model," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 56(2), pages 185-192.
- Allen N. Berger & Christa H. S. Bouwman, 2009. "Bank Liquidity Creation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3779-3837, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.