Valuation of Liabilities in Hybrid Pension Plans
In this paper we derive an analytic valuation formula for a generalized form of liabilities in hybrid pension plans taking account of both equity and interest rate risk. Comparative statistics are carried out to show the relevance of some key parameters in defining the hybrid pension plans, particularly the indicator of hybridity and the equity allocation in the pension fund's investment policy. We find that both the level of hybridity and the equity allocation of the pension fund impact the value of hybrid plan liabilities. This should affect the negotiation between employers and employees on total labor compensation.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Laura Ballotta & Steven Haberman & Nan Wang, 2006. "Guarantees in With-Profit and Unitized With-Profit Life Insurance Contracts: Fair Valuation Problem in Presence of the Default Option," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 97-121.
- Dirk Broeders, 2010. "Valuation of Contingent Pension Liabilities and Guarantees Under Sponsor Default Risk," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(4), pages 911-934.
- Dirk Broeders & An Chen, 2008.
"Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities - a contingent claims analysis using Parisian options,"
DNB Working Papers
183, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Broeders, Dirk & Chen, An, 2010. "Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities: A contingent claims analysis using Parisian options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1201-1214, June.
- Leora Friedberg & Anthony Webb, 2003.
"Retirement and the Evolution of Pension Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9999, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greg Niehaus & Tong Yu, 2005. "Cash-Balance Plan Conversions: Evidence on Excise Taxes and Implicit Contracts," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 321-352.
- Grosen, Anders & Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2001. "Life Insurance Liabilities at Market Value," Finance Working Papers 01-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Clark, Robert L. & Schieber, Sylvester J., 2004. "Adopting cash balance pension plans: implications and issues," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 271-295, November.
- Eduard Ponds & Bart van Riel, 2007. "The Recent Evolution of Pension Funds in the Netherlands: The Trend to Hybrid DB-DC Plans and Beyond," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2007-9, Center for Retirement Research, revised Apr 2007.
- de Jong, Frank, 2008. "Pension fund investments and the valuation of liabilities under conditional indexation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Johnson, Richard W. & Steuerle, Eugene, 2004. "Promoting work at older ages: the role of hybrid pension plans in an aging population," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 315-337, November.
- Coronado, Julia Lynn & Copeland, Philip C., 2004. "Cash balance pension plan conversions and the new economy," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 297-314, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:326. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.