Is Contagion in the Eye of the Beholder?
Empirical research on contagion between international stock markets generally focuses on market returns converted to US dollars, as this would be consistent with the perspective of an international investor. This note argues that such a conversion is inappropriate, since only returns denominated in local currencies accurately reflect supply and demand in national stock markets. When these returns are converted to a common currency they are also affected by exchange rate fluctuations, which leads to biased results as is illustrated using an example from the sub-prime crisis.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mardi Dungey & Renee Fry & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo & Vance Martin, 2005.
"Empirical modelling of contagion: a review of methodologies,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 9-24.
- Vance L. Martin & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo, & Mardi Dungey & Renee A. Fry, 2004. "Empirical Modelling of Contagion: A Review of Methodologies," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 243, Econometric Society.
- Martin, V. & Dungey & M., 2004. "Empirical Modelling of Contagion: A Review of Methodologies," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 574, Econometric Society.
- Mardi Dungey & Renee Fry & Vance Martin & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo, 2004. "Empirical Modeling of Contagion; A Review of Methodologies," IMF Working Papers 04/78, International Monetary Fund.
- Mark Mink & Jochen Mierau, 2009.
"Measuring Stock Market Contagion with an Application to the Sub-prime Crisis,"
DNB Working Papers
217, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Mierau, Jochen O. & Mink, Mark, 2013. "Are stock market crises contagious? The role of crisis definitions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 4765-4776.
- Kee-Hong Bae & G. Andrew Karolyi & René M. Stulz, 2003.
"A New Approach to Measuring Financial Contagion,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 717-763, July.
- Kee-Hong Bae & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2000. "A New Approach to Measuring Financial Contagion," NBER Working Papers 7913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kee-Hong Bae & G. Andrew Karolyi & Rene M. Stulz, 2001. "A new approach to measuring financial contagion," Proceedings 743, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bodart Vincent & Candelon Bertrand, 2005.
"Evidences of Interdependence and Contagion using a Frequency Domain Framework,"
024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bodart, Vincent & Candelon, Bertrand, 2009. "Evidence of interdependence and contagion using a frequency domain framework," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 140-150, June.
- Thomas J. flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2008.
"Detecting shift and pure contagion in East Asian equity markets: A Unified Approach,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1890208.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- ThomasJ. Flavin & Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2010. "Detecting Shift And Pure Contagion In East Asian Equity Markets: A Unified Approach," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 401-421, 08.
- Thomas J. Flavin and Ekaterini Panopoulou, 2007. "Detecting Shift and Pure Contagion in East Asian Equity Markets: A Unified Approach," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp236, IIIS.
- Aloui, Riadh & Aïssa, Mohamed Safouane Ben & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011.
"Global financial crisis, extreme interdependences, and contagion effects: The role of economic structure?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 130-141, January.
- Riadh Aloui & Mohamed Safouane Ben Aissa & Khuong Nguyen Duc, 2010. "Global Financial Crisis, Extreme Interdependences, and Contagion E§ects: The Role of Economic Structure," Working Papers 15, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Baele, Lieven & Inghelbrecht, Koen, 2010. "Time-varying integration, interdependence and contagion," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 791-818, September.
- Markwat, Thijs & Kole, Erik & van Dijk, Dick, 2009.
"Contagion as a domino effect in global stock markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1996-2012, November.
- Markwat, T.D. & Kole, H.J.W.G. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2008. "Contagion as Domino Effect in Global Stock Markets," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-071-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Geert Bekaert & Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Arnaud Mehl, 2014.
"The Global Crisis and Equity Market Contagion,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1352, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Donald J. Mathieson & James Y. Yao, 2004.
"Extreme Contagion in Equity Markets,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 8.
- MArdi Dungey & Renee Fry & Brenda Gonzales-Hermosillo & Vance L. Martin & Chrismin Tang, 2008.
"Are Financial Crises Alike?,"
CAMA Working Papers
2008-15, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cipollini, Andrea & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2005.
"Testing for contagion: a conditional correlation analysis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 476-489, June.
- gulielmo maria caporale & rea cipollini & nicola spagnolo, 2004. "Testing For Contagion: A Conditional Correlation Analysis," International Finance 0406003, EconWPA.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Marcello Pericoli & Massimo Sbracia, 2001.
"A Primer on Financial Contagion,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
407, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2012. "The “Big C”: identifying and mitigating contagion," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 23-87.
- Baur, Dirk G. & Fry, Renée A., 2009. "Multivariate contagion and interdependence," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 353-366, September.
- Baur, Dirk & Schulze, Niels, 2005. "Coexceedances in financial markets--a quantile regression analysis of contagion," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-43, April.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 2003.
"Market Integration and Contagion,"
NBER Working Papers
9510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplanis, Evi C., 1988. "Stability and forecasting of the comovement measures of international stock market returns," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-75, March.
- Rodriguez, Juan Carlos, 2007. "Measuring financial contagion: A Copula approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 401-423, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.