Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities - a contingent claims analysis using Parisian options
We analyze the market-consistent valuation of pension liabilities in a contingent claim framework whereby a knock-out barrier feature is applied to capture early regulatory closure of a pension plan. We investigate two cases which we call immediate closure procedure" and delayed closure procedure". In an immediate closure procedure, when the assets value hits the regulatory boundary, the pension plan is terminated immediately. Whereas in a delayed closure procedure, a grace period is given to the pension fund plan for reorganization and recovery before premature closure is executed. The framework is then used to construct fair pension deals.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Døskeland, Trond M. & Nordahl, Helge A., 2008.
"Optimal pension insurance design,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 382-392, March.
- Ippolito, Richard A, 1985. "The Labor Contract and True Economic Pension Liabilities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1031-43, December.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Colin Pugh & Juan Yermo, 2008. "Funding Regulations and Risk Sharing," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 17, OECD Publishing.
- Løchte, Peter, 2006.
"Traffic Light Options,"
Finance Research Group Working Papers
F-2006-08, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- De Giuli, Maria Elena & Maggi, Mario Alessandro & Paris, Francesco Maria, 2009. "Deposit guarantee evaluation and incentives analysis in a mutual guarantee system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1058-1068, June.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 1992. "Pension Reversions and Worker-Stockholder Wealth Transfers," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 1033-1056.
- Zvi Bodie & Alan J. Marcus & Robert C. Merton, 1988.
"Defined Benefit versus Defined Contribution Pension Plans: What are the Real Trade-offs?,"
in: Pensions in the U.S. Economy, pages 139-162
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Bodie & Alan J. Marcus & Robert C. Merton, 1985. "Defined Benefit versus Defined Contribution Pension Plans: What are the Real Tradeoffs?," NBER Working Papers 1719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, An & Suchanecki, Michael, 2007.
"Default risk, bankruptcy procedures and the market value of life insurance liabilities,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 231-255, March.
- An Chen & Michael Suchanecki, 2006. "Default Risk, Bankruptcy Procedures and the Market Value of Life Insurance Liabilities," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse8_2006, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Sharpe, William F., 1976. "Corporate pension funding policy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-193, June.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens & O. Jokung, 2007.
"Mean-variance-skewness portfolio performance gauging: A general shortage function and dual approach,"
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2007. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 135-149, January.
- K. Kerstens, 2005. "Mean-Variance Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging:A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Post-Print hal-00288765, HAL.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Octave Jokung, 2005. "Mean-Variance-Skewness Portfolio Performance Gauging: A General Shortage Function and Dual Approach," Working Papers 2005-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Colin Pugh, 2006. "Funding Rules and Actuarial Methods," OECD Working Papers on Insurance and Private Pensions 1, OECD Publishing.
- Colin Pugh & Juan Yermo, 2008. "Funding regulations and risk sharing," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2008(1), pages 163-196.
- Treynor, Jack L, 1977. "The Principles of Corporate Pension Finance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 627-38, May.
- Jacob A Bikker & Peter J G Vlaar, 2007. "Conditional Indexation in Defined Benefit Pension Plans in the Netherlands*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 494-515, October.
- Post, Thierry & van Vliet, Pim & Levy, Haim, 2008. "Risk aversion and skewness preference," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1178-1187, July.
- Blake, David & Lehmann, Bruce N & Timmermann, Allan, 1999. "Asset Allocation Dynamics and Pension Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 429-61, October.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2008. "Bank capital regulation in a barrier option framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1677-1686, August.
- Jeremy I. Bulow, 1982. "What are Corporate Pension Liabilities?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(3), pages 435-452.
- Greg Niehaus & Tong Yu, 2005. "Cash-Balance Plan Conversions: Evidence on Excise Taxes and Implicit Contracts," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 321-352.
- de Jong, Frank, 2008. "Pension fund investments and the valuation of liabilities under conditional indexation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Stephanie Aaronson & Julia Lynn Coronado, 2005. "Are firms or workers behind the shift away from DB pension plan?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-17, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.