Modelling Scenario Analysis and Macro Stress-testing
Macro stress-testing has become an important tool to assess financial stability. This paper describes a tool kit for scenario analysis and macro stress-testing. It is based on a model which maps multivariate scenarios to banks' credit and interest rate risks by deterministic and stochastic simulations. Our approach is an extension of existing macro stress-testing models as it distinguishes between probability of default on the one hand and loss given default on the other and allows for separate models for domestic and foreign portfolios. Another contribution of the paper is that the stochastic simulations generate loss distributions which provide insight in the extreme losses and allow for changing correlations between risk factors in stress situations. The methodology is applied to the Dutch banking sector.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sorge, Marco & Virolainen, Kimmo, 2006. "A comparative analysis of macro stress-testing methodologies with application to Finland," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 113-151, June.
- Marco Sorge, 2004. "Stress-testing financial systems: an overview of current methodologies," BIS Working Papers 165, Bank for International Settlements.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Matthew T Jones & Graham L Slack, 2004. "Stress Testing Financial Systems; What to Do When the Governor Calls," IMF Working Papers 04/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Haixia Hu, 2002.
"Cyclical patterns in profits, provisioning and lending of banks and procyclicality of the new Basel capital requirements,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 55(221), pages 143-175.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Haixia Hu, 2002. "Cyclical patterns in profits, provisioning and lending of banks and procyclicality of the new Basel capital requirements," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 55(221), pages 143-175.
- J.A. Bikker & Haixia Hu, 2001. "Cyclical patterns in profits provisioning and lending of banks and procyclicality of the new basel capital requirements," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 39, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Gunnar Bardsen, 2006.
"Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2006-FE-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gunnar Bardsen & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Dimitrios P.Tsomocos, 2006. "Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis," Working Paper Series 6806, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Evaluation of macroeconomic models for financial stability analysis," Working Paper 2006/01, Norges Bank.
- Edward Altman & Andrea Resti & Andrea Sironi, 2004. "Default Recovery Rates in Credit Risk Modelling: A Review of the Literature and Empirical Evidence," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 33(2), pages 183-208, 07.
- Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Giovanni Majnoni & Matthew T Jones & Winfrid Blaschke, 2001. "Stress Testing of Financial Systems; An Overview of Issues, Methodologies, and FSAP Experiences," IMF Working Papers 01/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Steffen Sorensen & Lea Zicchino, 2005. "Stress tests of UK banks using a VAR approach," Bank of England working papers 282, Bank of England.
- Peura, Samu & Jokivuolle, Esa, 2003. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks' regulatory capital adequacy," Research Discussion Papers 4/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Virolainen, Kimmo, 2003. "Macro stress testing with a macroeconomic credit risk model for Finland," Research Discussion Papers 18/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Jon Frye, 2000. "Depressing recoveries," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Oct.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.