Valuation of pension liabilities in incomplete markets
This paper discusses the valuation of wage-indexed pension fund liabilities. Valuation by replication with market instruments is typically not possible as there are no wage-indexed assets. This paper discusses several methods to find a value in such incomplete markets and advocates utility-based valuation. This approach implies a simple adjustment on the discount factor that can be used to calculate the value of wage indexed liabilities.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henderson, Vicky, 2005. "Explicit solutions to an optimal portfolio choice problem with stochastic income," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1237-1266, July.
- Antonios Sangvinatsos & Jessica A. Wachter, 2003.
"Does the Failure of the Expectations Hypothesis Matter for Long-Term Investors,"
NBER Working Papers
10086, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonios Sangvinatsos & Jessica A. Wachter, 2005. "Does the Failure of the Expectations Hypothesis Matter for Long-Term Investors?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 179-230, 02.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alexander, 2001.
"Value-at-Risk-Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 371-405.
- Suleyman Basak & Alexander Shapiro, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Koijen, R.S.J. & Nijman, T.E. & Werker, B.J.M., 2005. "Labor Income and the Demand for Long-term Bonds," Discussion Paper 2005-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael J. Brennan & Yihong Xia, 2002. "Dynamic Asset Allocation under Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1201-1238, 06.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Otto van Hemert & Franck de Jong & Joost Driessen, 2005. "Dynamic portfolio and mortgage choice for homeowners," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24650, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eugene Fama & F. & Kenneth R. French, .
"The Equity Premium.","
CRSP working papers
522, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Svensson, L.E. & Werner, I., 1990.
"Nontraded Assets in Incomplete Markets: Pricing and Portfolio Choices,"
477, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O. & Werner, Ingrid M., 1993. "Nontraded assets in incomplete markets : Pricing and portfolio choice," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1149-1168, June.
- Munk, Claus & Sørensen, Carsten, 2010. "Dynamic asset allocation with stochastic income and interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 433-462, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- HuyËn Pham & Nizar Touzi & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "A closed-form solution to the problem of super-replication under transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 35-54.
- Berend Roorda & J. M. Schumacher & Jacob Engwerda, 2005. "Coherent Acceptability Measures In Multiperiod Models," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 589-612.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.