Currency Hedging for a Dutch Investor: The Case of Pension Funds and Insurers
This paper analyzes the risk reduction effectiveness of currency hedging international portfolios from the perspective of an average Dutch pension fund and insurer during the period 1999-2004. Several portfolios and approaches to hedging are analyzed. Passive hedging seems to be efficient in reducing the volatility of a foreign bond portfolio whereas the risk reduction achieved for a foreign equity portfolio is not significant. The case of mixed (bonds and equities) portfolios and hedging is also analyzed. No significant risk reduction (at the same level of returns as that of an unhedged portfolio) was attained using a static hedging approach and portfolio optimization under short sale constraints. Using a selective (dynamic) hedging approach based on the forward premium, showed similar results; the volatility of an unhedged and hedged portfolio was virtually the same. Nevertheless, this selective hedging strategy had a positive impact improving the hedged portfolio returns.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter A. Abken & Milind M. Shrikhande, 1997. "The role of currency derivatives in internationally diversified portfolios," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 3, pages 34-59.
- Bugar, Gyöngyi & Maurer, Raimond, 2001. "International equity portfolios and currency hedging : the viewpoint of German and Hungarian investors," Papers 01-10, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Richard M. Levich & Lee R. Thomas, 1993. "Internationally Diversified Bond Portfolios: The Merits of Active Currency Risk Management," NBER Working Papers 4340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodnar, G.M. & de Jong, A. & Macrae, V., 2001. "The Impact of Institutional Differences on Derivatives Usage : A Comparative Study of US and Dutch Firms," Discussion Paper 2001-62, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- de Roon, Frans A. & Nijman, Theo E. & Werker, Bas J. M., 2003. "Currency hedging for international stock portfolios: The usefulness of mean-variance analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 327-349, February.
- de Roon, F.A., 1997. "Essays on testing for spanning and on modeling futures risk premia," Other publications TiSEM e0664b0b-5bf8-4d82-85c1-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bugàr, Gyöngyi & Maurer, Raimond, 2001. "International Equity Portfolios and Currency Hedging: The Viewpoint of German and Hungarian Investors," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-10, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Haefliger, Thomas & Waelchli, Urs & Wydler, Daniel, 2002. "Hedging currency risk: Does it have to be so complicated?," MPRA Paper 26451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glen, Jack & Jorion, Philippe, 1993. " Currency Hedging for International Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1865-1886, December.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Simpson, Marc W., 2001. "To hedge or not to hedge: the performance of simple strategies for hedging foreign exchange risk," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 213-223, April.
- Eun, Cheol S & Resnick, Bruce G, 1988. " Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Forward Contracts, and International Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 197-215, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.