Currency Hedging for a Dutch Investor: The Case of Pension Funds and Insurers
This paper analyzes the risk reduction effectiveness of currency hedging international portfolios from the perspective of an average Dutch pension fund and insurer during the period 1999-2004. Several portfolios and approaches to hedging are analyzed. Passive hedging seems to be efficient in reducing the volatility of a foreign bond portfolio whereas the risk reduction achieved for a foreign equity portfolio is not significant. The case of mixed (bonds and equities) portfolios and hedging is also analyzed. No significant risk reduction (at the same level of returns as that of an unhedged portfolio) was attained using a static hedging approach and portfolio optimization under short sale constraints. Using a selective (dynamic) hedging approach based on the forward premium, showed similar results; the volatility of an unhedged and hedged portfolio was virtually the same. Nevertheless, this selective hedging strategy had a positive impact improving the hedged portfolio returns.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glen, Jack & Jorion, Philippe, 1993. " Currency Hedging for International Portfolios," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1865-86, December.
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- de Roon, Frans A. & Nijman, Theo E. & Werker, Bas J. M., 2003. "Currency hedging for international stock portfolios: The usefulness of mean-variance analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 327-349, February.
- Bodnar, G.M. & de Jong, A. & Macrae, V., 2001. "The Impact of Institutional Differences on Derivatives Usage : A Comparative Study of US and Dutch Firms," Discussion Paper 2001-62, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Haefliger, Thomas & Waelchli, Urs & Wydler, Daniel, 2002. "Hedging currency risk: Does it have to be so complicated?," MPRA Paper 26451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Roon, F.A., 1997. "Essays on testing for spanning and on modeling futures risk premia," Other publications TiSEM e0664b0b-5bf8-4d82-85c1-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bugàr, Gyöngyi & Maurer, Raimond, 2001. "International Equity Portfolios and Currency Hedging: The Viewpoint of German and Hungarian Investors," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-10, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard M. Levich & Lee R. Thomas, 1993. "Internationally Diversified Bond Portfolios: The Merits of Active Currency Risk Management," NBER Working Papers 4340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter A. Abken & Milind M. Shirkhande, 1997. "The role of currency derivatives in internationally diversified portfolios," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 3, pages 34-59.
- Eun, Cheol S & Resnick, Bruce G, 1988. " Exchange Rate Uncertainty, Forward Contracts, and International Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 197-215, March.
- Morey, Matthew R. & Simpson, Marc W., 2001. "To hedge or not to hedge: the performance of simple strategies for hedging foreign exchange risk," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 213-223, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.