EMU enlargement, inflation and adjustment of tradable goods prices: What to expect?
Inflation differentials resulting from EMU enlargement have so far mostly been discussed within the Balassa-Samuelson framework, i.e. resulting from inflation in nontradable goods. We analyse the inflationary consequences of convergenceof tradable goods' prices. Using disaggregated price level data, simulations show that inflation in the new EU member states might on average be 1.5-3.5 percentage points higher than in the current euro area (with considerable variation between the new EU members). These inflationary effects even exceed most simulations of the Balassa-Samuelson effect. The `burden of adjustment' rests mainly on the shoulders of the new EU members if the European Central Bank sets monetary policy in response to inflation developments in the entire currency area. In contrast the impact of EMU enlargement on the current euro area is limited, due to the small economic weight of the new EU member states.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- TomÃ¡s Holub & Martin CihÃ¡k, 2001. "Convergence of Relative Prices and Inflation in Central and Eastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 01/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995.
"How wide is the border?,"
Research Working Paper
95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Jean Imbs & Morten O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2003.
"PPP Strikes Back; Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate,"
IMF Working Papers
03/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten Ravn & Hélène Rey, 2005. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 1-43, January.
- Imbs, Jean & Mumtaz, Haroon & Ravn, Morten O & Rey, Hélène, 2003. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 3715, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2003. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0307, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morton O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2002. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 9372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John R. Baldwin & Beiling Yan, 2004. "The Law of One Price: A Canada/U.S. exploration," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 50(1), pages 1-10, 03.
- Maier, Philipp & Cavelaars, Paul, 2004. "Convergence of price levels: lessons from the German reunification," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 467-481, September.
- Alberola, Enrique & Tyrväinen, Timo, 1998.
"Is There Scope for Inflation Differentials in EMU? An Empirical Evaluation of the Balassa-Samuelson Model in EMU Countries,"
Research Discussion Papers
15/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Enrique Alberola-Ila & Tymo Tyrväinen, 1998. "Is there Scope for Inflation Differentials in EMU? An Empirical Evaluation of the Balassa-Samuelson Model in EMU Countries," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9823, Banco de Espa�a.
- Robert, Anderton & Baldwin, Richard & Taglioni, Daria, 2007.
"The impact of monetary union on trade prices,"
Journal of Financial Transformation,
Capco Institute, vol. 19, pages 35-48.
- Anderton, Robert & Richard E Baldwin & Daria Taglioni, 2003. "The Impact of Monetary Union on Trade Prices," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 5, Royal Economic Society.
- Taglioni, Daria & Anderton, Robert & Baldwin, Richard E., 2003. "The impact of monetary union on trade prices," Working Paper Series 0238, European Central Bank.
- Louis Kuijs & Alain Borghijs, 2004. "Exchange Rates in Central Europe; A Blessing o+L2762r a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 04/2, International Monetary Fund.
- John H. Rogers, 2001. "Price level convergence, relative prices, and inflation in Europe," International Finance Discussion Papers 699, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jose M. Campa & Holger C. Wolf, 1997. "Is Real Exchange Rate Mean Reversion Caused By Arbitrage?," NBER Working Papers 6162, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688
- Ken Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, . "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," Working Paper 32027, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert J. Sonora, 2002. "Price Index Convergence Among United States Cities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1081-1099, November.
- Peter Backé & Jarko Fidrmuc & Thomas Reininger & Franz Schardax, 2002. "Price Dynamics in Central and Eastern European EU Accession," Working Papers 61, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbwpp:010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.